knowing if NVR supports wifi dongle

ibininja

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently bought this nvr off aliexpress
I should have researched this more before i bought this. In the description it says it supports 3g/wifi. when I plug a wifi dongle its not recognized. In the network settings there is only wired connection present. I tried reaching out to the seller but no reply yet (more than couple weeks). in the board it says NBD80XXS-XC v1.04. the device is 8 CH. I'm started to suspect this does not even support a wifi dongle. any idea if this supports a wifi dongle? or is there anything I should do?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
8 channels over Wi-Fi will most likely be an issue regarding bandwidth and ultimately, dependability.

You could however, install a Wi-Fi device set up in client mode that plugs into the Ethernet port such as the TP-LINK TL-WR802N.
It comes with a 5VDC wall wart or in most cases can be powered by the second USB port.

You have the device login to the SSID of your Wi-Fi; it needs no drivers. The NVR thinks it's plugged into a LAN cable. Here's the instructions ==>> How to Configure the Client Mode on TL-WR802N/TL-WR810N

TP-LINK_WR802n.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ibininja

n3wb
Reaction score
@TonyR thank you for the input that's a good idea to use a router as a client. and thank you for filling in.
As for the wifi/3g I too presume its a mistake. I was hoping I would be able to get a firmware to work with the board that would recognize a wifi dongle but I feel its too risky to blindly play around with different firmware. The safest way around is as suggested. Thank you