Lan IP changing

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I access my BI cams from several computers on my LAN. Seems like since I moved BI to a newer pc, the IP for the page has been changing daily.
I don't see a way to set a static IP in BI. If this is something that needs to be locked down in my router, what is it called?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no way to assign an IP address in BI. That is done at the router. You can assign a specific address, or set a DHCP reservation, for your BI machine in there.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI settings under Web server tab, Local internal (LAN) access it does not let me change that IP address. Right now it is 192.168.11.47:81
And what is the check box for Listen/bind to one selected lan ip only?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The 192.168.11.47:81 is the IP address of your BI machine with the ":81" being the port number that it works through to supply information to clients that log in and, subsequently, can't be changed. The "listen/bind" check box would apply IF you had more than one, physical network card, thus more than one IP address, on/in the machine and keeps BI listening to the IP address it actually needs to.

Incidentally, all this is available from the "Help" option in BI.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can open a command prompt on your BI machine then type ipconfig to see you IP Subnet Mask and Default Gateway (write these down) then look on your router and find out what the DHCP scope is then back on the BI machine change the IP address on the Windows network adapter from DHCP to a static IP outside of the DHCP scope but in the same subnet like 192.168.11.2 or 192.168.11.250 (one of these should be outside of the DHCP scope or you can usually control the scope on the router to leave a block open at the beginning or end. The Subnet Mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway of 192.168.11.1 if that is the IP of your router, or you can put a DHCP reservation like awsum140 suggested on the router for your BI IP if your router allows that.

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your computers static/fixed IP address is configured via Windows, not BI. If you have a DHCP server on your network and your NIC (network adapter) is configured to get a DHCP assigned IP then the IP will be determined via DHCP and it sounds like your router may have a short lease time on DHCP configuration. Your computer that Blue Iris is running on should have a static/fixed IP address and not use DHCP to avoid issues like what you are seeing. If you configured your router to operate a DCHP server there is also likely a IP address range that is allowable in the config as well as possibly a DHCP assignment based on MAC address. DHCP stands for "Dynamic Host Control Protocol" and most home/consumer routers by default have this turned on. The best thing to do IMHO is configure a static IP. Go to the control panel on your BI machine if you are in category mode click on "view network status and tasks" or in icon view "network and sharing center" from there click on the network adapter you are using (local area connection or wireless) and then "Properties" - in that dialog you can assign a fixed IP address. If this doesn't make sense to you search YouTube for "assign static IP in Windows 7" (or 10, or whatever version you're operating)

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding your issue but it sounds like you just need a little bit of simple network config.

-Ben

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All good info above and it's what you should do, assigning a static IP to your BI server or setting a DHCP reservation (I prefer static IP).

If you're scratching your head about what static IP to type in when you get ready to do just that, chances are all other devices (a tablet, smartphones, TV, etc.) on the LAN are DHCP so it should be safe to pick the one already assigned by the router via DHCP to the BI server and make it static by configuring in Windows on the BI server or set a DHCP reservation in your router as has been suggested.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the helpful posts!
I did set a static IP for the nic that is outside of the range the dhcp uses.
I have a Buffalo router, running DD-WRT. The lease was set to 1440 minutes, or 24 hours.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did set a static IP for the nic that is outside of the range the dhcp uses.
That's exactly what I do; I have a log of all devices and their static IP's in my household.
Router's DHCP pool set for .002 to .099, I use .100 to .200 for my 'stuff'.

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
...then type ipconfig to see you IP Subnet Mask and Default Gateway...
I wanted to add to Terk's advice here, at the command prompt add the "/all" suffix to "ipconfig" to get all of your detailed network IP information, type "ipconfig /all" - this will indentify more information about how the machine is connected.