Landscape light as IR source

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
After setting up new cameras, I need to solve some lighting issues. There are bushes near the eaves. so I get great exposure of the bush and everything further (like the sidewalk and street) mostly dark. A spotlight mounted near the camera is no help so I figure that blasting a big IR illuminator from the eaves wouldn't do much good either.

frontdoor.jpg

That leads me to wondering whether I could add IR lights to my landscape lights. I was fascinated by this thread but hope to find something that does not require soldering etc. I see one interesting product on Amazon, a red/infrared LED bulb with a G4 base that should fit directly into a landscape floodlight. The description doesn't specify AC or DC, but it does say it can be used for "chandeliers" and landscape lighting. Anyone tried that? Thoughts?

Or what about some kind of red filter on the landscape light?

Thanks,

Mark

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A little bit of soldering can't hurt :).
I have some IR lights I plan to make into garden lighting, but currently that needs to be soldered up.

I can think of 12v IR flood like mentioned there, and using barrel plug splitters and extension cables to make 'landscape IR lighting'.
Biggest issue with this is the current loading.....
This IR spot pictured looks to be 4W (12v-0.3A), max I would run these cctv splitters/extension cables is 2A (24w).
1677723893045.png
1677724024012.png1677724057326.png

RabbitCam

n3wb
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 LOL.

You need two cameras - this one to cover your walkway on this side of the wall and another one on or on the other side of the wall to get people in the road or walkway.

Reaction score
I see one interesting product on Amazon, a red/infrared LED bulb with a G4 base that should fit directly into a landscape floodlight.
Looking at that Amazon product, I doubt that it will give you IR light for a camera. Just because it says it is red and infrared, doesn't mean it will work for an IR source for your cameras. There is no mention of the wavelength. IP cams using IR are specifically set up for a certain band of IR light. These just seem to be red lights.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would rather use LED white light when possible for camera lighting. The advantage is that if sufficient light is available then color at night is possible. It also lights up the area to act as a deterrent.

Have used Home Depot 12 volt 15 watt white LED landscape lights for color at night for camera use. To power the lamps an old ATX computer tower power supply works well. These units supply 12 VDC in the range of 15 to 20 amps. Cost is usually free as most have an older unused computer setting the closet.

Camera-Plus-Light.jpg

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all!

@Mark_M and @RabbitCam, thanks for those examples. @Mark_M, you're plugging in directly so you get DC power. @RabbitCam, you're running off-the-shelf IR illuminators with 12v AC from landscape lighting?

@bigredfish, acknowledged, hedge trimming would help. OTOH I kinda think if I solve lighting while the bushes are big, it will only get better when I trim them.

@wittaj, a camera closer to the street would probably have to be in a tree, and given the extra work/expense/aesthetic factors, probably won't happen. FWIW I do have a (better) cam at the opposite end of the house that gets a somewhat better view of the sidewalk and street, but it has its own lighting issue where the white wall and bush govern the exposure, or I use BLC and they get so washed out that someone climbing the stairs looks like a ghost. Note that the motion-sensing light on the left is off here; when it goes on, the wash-out factor increases.

Garage.png

@samplehold, good point on red vs. infrared, reinforced when I read this Axton article.

@Alaska Country, good suggestion about white light. Maybe I just need some "normal" landscape lighting along the sidewalk...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another member in CA @Parley has a similar issue and putting it in the tree isn't that hard and ends up becoming hidden and more likely to catch a perp as they wouldn't be expecting a camera there!

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Another member in CA @Parley has a similar issue and putting it in the tree isn't that hard...
That's not a tree that's a bush lol :). And he's lucky to have a wall next to it for burying cable... I've got a big ol' eucalyptus tree but the wire would have span that walkway in my first pic and then some. Well I'll think about it...

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not a tree that's a bush lol :). And he's lucky to have a wall next to it for burying cable... I've got a big ol' eucalyptus tree but the wire would have span that walkway in my first pic and then some. Well I'll think about it...
I used direct burial cable, but ran most of it underground in PVC conduit up to the base of the tree.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mark_M, you're plugging in directly so you get DC power.
That was my suggest for a 'plug and play' system that wouldn't require any soldering or cable splicing.

I personally have made up my own garden lighting by soldering connections and waterproofing.
Those barrel plugs I mentioned are not waterproof, they would need a few wraps of electrical tape or something.

RabbitCam

n3wb
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IR floodlight connected to my landscape light system. The low voltage lights typically connect to a 12V AC transformer. The IR floodlights are typically 12V DC. No problem....use AC to DC converter. See THIS.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I use this transformer to power my IR illuminators. DC output, no converter needed.

1679095121431.png