Large installation Multiple Switches

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have any of you guys worked in larger scale projects? I have been asked to install cctv in a few warehouse buildings with some buildings being located behind one another.

An electrician at some stage has left cat6 between the buildings which I can't add more to or change. Cable is fine as I tested each.

Each building will have a max of 4 IP cams and maybe a wifi access point like Ubiquiti so I will require switches so wondering what's the best way of linking these switches or should I say what kind of switches to use. I remember reading somewhere there can be problems with daisy chaining switches but not sure how to get around this.

There will need to be a switch at Building 1 for the other 3 buildings to link to which will provide the main link back to the office. At the office, the Cable router and most likely another switch and NVR will be located.

Is there a specific kind of Poe switch managed/unmaged I would require in the other buildings to for this to work smoothly?

I thought about using a 8port/4 Poe TP-Link or Netgear switch in each building but apparently that's not a good idea.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue I can see with daisy chaining switches is the aggregated bandwidth at router 1. With the amount of cameras, you might be ok with 100Mb, but I'd aim for gigabit for router 1 as a minimum. Also, you don't have to feel locked down to using PoE switches, you can use your preferred switch, and add injectors or a midspan.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Defenitvely use managed switches. This allows you to create vlan's so you could seperate general wifi from camera traffic.
It does add some complexity if you need to remotely access the cameras though. You than need some kind of layer 3 device which offers multiple connections on the LAN side. I would suggest some kind of firewall appliance that keeps you inside save, and you could terminate vpn sessions to it (the only valid way of remote access to the camerra system)