Latest BlueIris software update contains Trojan according to Windows Defender

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Exercise extreme caution if you are going to install this on your system.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Try another antivirus..

I put more faith in the tooth fairy then windows defender.

I have made a lot of money off of people running defender.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
The only reason someone would want to deny the existence of a trojan is to exploit it.

If Windows Defender is wrong, great! This should have been resolved before the update was made available. At the worst, BI is distributing a trojan, at best the software release lifecycle is very poor and will cause many future issues.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I scanned it with Kaspersky and avast. No problems with the file.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
It is the most recent download that is available today through the update interface in the software. I did send blue iris support an email but I received a standard reply of it will take them some time to get to my support request.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a number of software packages that give that warning n defender. They have all been crap messages. If software does a lot of register writes, or rewrite files it can be flagged. Just skip the message and install.

If you are concerned contact the developer.

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a number of software packages that give that warning n defender. They have all been crap messages. If software does a lot of register writes, or rewrite files it can be flagged. Just skip the message and install.

If you are concerned contact the developer.
I already posted I contacted the developer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason someone would want to deny the existence of a trojan is to exploit it.

If Windows Defender is wrong, great! This should have been resolved before the update was made available. At the worst, BI is distributing a trojan, at best the software release lifecycle is very poor and will cause many future issues.
Stop being an idiot. Users here are denying it to exploit it? Did you bother uploading to virus total?

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Stop being an idiot. Users here are denying it to exploit it? Did you bother uploading to virus total?
So you are a staff member on this board and you call someone an idiot for trying to help out its members with a possible security issue on a forum that deals in security?

Be better than that.

Don't speak to me or anyone else that way. It's disrespectful, rude, and very immature.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you are a staff member on this board and you call someone an idiot for trying to help out its members with a possible security issue on a forum that deals in security?

Be better than that.

Don't speak to me or anyone else that way. It's disrespectful, rude, and very immature.
Nope I’m an owner who’s telling you to fuck off and stop accusing the membership on this forum Of trying to exploit your system. I will speak to you in anywhere I want and if you don’t like it you can go fuck yourself.

Where the hell do you get off making such accusations without first doing some basic research to determine if you have a false positive which is common. I did the work for your lazy ass. Even the microsoft engine does not find a trojan.

Then you simply ramble on about the software release cycle? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have problems with new features added frequently? What does that have to do with the alleged trojan?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Coming to IPCT and initially claiming Blue Iris has a Trojan, according to Windows Defender is a sour puss move, which is one thing to publicize and send a notification to the author of the program. But then to come and post "Exercise extreme caution if you are going to install this on your system"? Butt ass backward lame. I do not hang out with the author of Blue Iris nor do I have tennis with the guy. But I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt over some Windows software tech.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely a false positive with a very slight chance of someone hacking the download site and injecting a trojan into the file. As others have said, check it with a 2nd or 3rd reputable AV program and if worried, report it to BI and submit the file to your AV vendor for anaylsis if it comes back positive in that as well. I highly suspect it's a false positive. They're not at all uncommon. I know the CEO of a major company who's software came back infected in Kaspersky (one of the best AV solutiuons) for ages even though there was nothing wrong with the file. Usually False positive are the result of something in the code resembling a "generic" virus as AV programs search for generic code that's similar to viral code as well as specific known viruses and this leads to many false positives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely a false positive with a very slight chance of someone hacking the download site and injecting a trojan into the file. As others have said, check it with a 2nd or 3rd reputable AV program and if worried, report it to BI and submit the file to your AV vendor for anaylsis if it comes back positive in that as well. I highly suspect it's a false positive. They're not at all uncommon. I know the CEO of a major company who's software came back infected in Kaspersky (one of the best AV solutiuons) for ages even though there was nothing wrong with the file. Usually False positive are the result of something in the code resembling a "generic" virus as AV programs search for generic code that's similar to viral code as well as specific known viruses and this leads to many false positives.
Not most likely. 100 percent false positive. See the virus total result i linked to.

Last edited: