LaView LV-N5216D6E Request for Expertise

southsidej

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased this NVR as part of a package from LaView directly. It came with (6) LV-PZ804N4 PoE cameras. I hooked everything up and cameras are pulling in video, after upgrading to the latest firmware, my test email to Gmail worked fine.

Now, two problems here:
Problem 1: I cannot get the NVR to either record on motion only, nor can I get it to email a snapshot alarm when there is motion. The included manual is worthless. I've followed the videos here and here for motion recording and email alerts respectively. I get zero motion recording in the playback area and zero email alerts. LaView support was less than helpful. Ideally, I would like to have 24/7 AND motion tagged video available in Playback (motion only is second choice), as well as motion email alerts, but I don't seem to be able to get any one of those three ticked off the list.

Problem 2: Frustrated with that, I started to entertain the possibility of flashing with Hikvision firmware for better functionality. I did extensive research here and on other sites about the procedure. First off, there is zero mentions of my NVR model out there for any of this. I figured if I made a serial cable, I might be able to catch the Hikvision model that this is a rebrand of during boot. However, I only get the attached output up until it starts decompressing Linux, and then I get no further output in Putty until I reboot. I also don't seem to have any TX input during boot. I get "Press any key to stop boot" but no keys work to do that, nor does pressing anything give me a prompt once booted. I've moved the TX wire to all three of the other possibilities on the 4 pin plug with the same results on each.

So, with all of that said, does anyone out there A) have experience with this model NVR; B) know the Hikvision model cross reference; or C) provide anything that might be helpful to me overcoming any of these hurdles?

Thanks in advance all.

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a different brand Hikvision built NVR. Yours is similar enough that some general comments might apply. I've not tried email, and have been successful with motion alerts and recording. I use the web interface and PC client. I don't use the hardwired monitor. I'm new in the IP camera area but have long experience in the computer industry, and a lot of it applies. Once conclusion I've made, too late for both of us, is that IMO you're better off getting equipment under the manufacturer's name, Hikvision or Dahua, rather than from a reseller. That's because the resellers are slaves to Hikvision and Dahua for bug fixes and feature additions. They will always be behind in the software/firmware revisions, and don't adopt all of them.

I've found that the camera settings that can be made both in the nvr and camera can fight each other, and to be safe, I use the direct camera interface to make settings, then check if they're reflected on the NVR's web interface, and change them to be the same if they're not. With the LaView system are you even able to access the cameras directly? With the POE ports in the NVR, you need the Virtual Host feature (under Network/Advanced Settings/Other), or need to plug a computer into one of the POE ports. If you've set up the motion detection only via the NVR, there's a chance (a shot-in-the-dark on my part) you also need to go direct to the camera to get it working.

As far as using motion detection with 24x7 recording goes, Hikvision has blown it big time. With 24x7 recording enabled, there is no way I've found to access the motion event triggers from the NVR's web interface. For me this makes the web interface useless. The motion events can be accessed by the direct connect interface that I don't use. They can also be accessed in list form on the PC client (not on the timeline with 24x7 recording). The trouble with this is my reseller's version of the PC client crashes so much that it's effectively unusable. There's a little hope here, the Hikvision ivms4200 client works just fine, and there are at least a few versions that don't crash, so I recommend you give that a try if LaView's version isn't doing what you want it to.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as using motion detection with 24x7 recording goes, Hikvision has blown it big time. With 24x7 recording enabled, there is no way I've found to access the motion event triggers from the NVR's web interface. For me this makes the web interface useless
This has been implemented via the web GUI on firmware 3.4.80 and later, a few posts on the topic.
Example : 3.4.80 Build 160718

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This has been implemented via the web GUI on firmware 3.4.80 and later, a few posts on the topic.
Example : 3.4.80 Build 160718
I remember reading that. The big question I have is if it's ok to load the Hikvision firmware into a rebranded NVR? Does the rebranded NVR have some mechanism to prevent it? Is there any risk of bricking the NVR? I'm fearing the only answer is to try it and see what happens, unless somebody else has already taken the risk to find the answer.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a rebranded Hikvision NVR may be making some use of the oemCode slot and the internal devType in the 'hardware descriptor block' so there is some possibility that the firmware will operate differently. Or I suppose it could just be a paint job.
But it's not something I've explored, so I don't have any specific advice, sorry.

southsidej

n3wb
Reaction score
Do your cameras show the same info?

View attachment 13826
Yeah, unfortunately I can't hit the cameras through the NVR, even though I can see the NVR is assigning them an IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 space, the NVR is not routing packets to the cameras. I know I have a PoE injector somewhere around here. If I can find it, I'll connect up to one with a crossover cable and see what that screen reads.

southsidej

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a rebranded Hikvision NVR may be making some use of the oemCode slot and the internal devType in the 'hardware descriptor block' so there is some possibility that the firmware will operate differently. Or I suppose it could just be a paint job.
But it's not something I've explored, so I don't have any specific advice, sorry.
No worries; I figured it may be a long shot, but still worth asking. If all else fails, I may consider selling the NVR on eBay and finding a decently priced Hikvision NVR that supports 4k so I can keep the cameras. Now, an area I haven't thoughoughly researched yet is Hikvision NVRs purchased on eBay, Aliexpress, or otherwise from China. Anyone have advice on that, in particular, model numbers that are easy to administer or have a good price/functionality ratio, how not to get ripped off, etc.? Thanks all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have bought all my Hikvision NVRs and IP cameras, and a few other brands too, from Aliexpress and had no really bad experiences - a couple of no-shows but no problem dealing with it. But it's not for everyone. Aliexpress does operate an escrow payment system that should be pretty safe. And some 'other brands' that I won't mention from Alibaba, which has less buyer protection, but was all fine.
The lack of support doesn't bother me, I can figure things out well enough.
And the only failures I've had have been minor, IR LEDs on a couple of Hikvision bullets, and a Dericam P/T with a flash failure.

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately I can't hit the cameras through the NVR, even though I can see the NVR is assigning them an IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 space, the NVR is not routing packets to the cameras. I know I have a PoE injector somewhere around here. If I can find it, I'll connect up to one with a crossover cable and see what that screen reads.
You Can hook up a patch cable from the nvr to your switch/router, then change the address range on your nic to whatever address the cameras are by default. You should be able to login into each camera.

southsidej

n3wb
Reaction score
You Can hook up a patch cable from the nvr to your switch/router, then change the address range on your nic to whatever address the cameras are by default. You should be able to login into each camera.
So, I ended up having to use a PoE injector to get into the camera. Anyway, here is what the Version screen reads. So, yes. It looks like I have the same details as you originally asked.
upload_2017-1-11_9-9-12.png

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure the cameras are Hikvision, Blue Iris see's them as Lts. Doe's Lts rebrand cameras or make their own?

lv bi.JPG

Last edited:

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, when I was using the Nvr I had to use the Dahua program and mobile apps to access it.
laview.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
LTS is rebranded Hikvision. Did you say you used Dahua software to access the LaView nvr? I thought all of LaView was Hikvision, but now I'm wondering if I have that right.

Nick87080

n3wb
Reaction score
I have same nvr, it came with a cd that has different programs and manuals. When I was installing one of the programs i noticed it had dahua titled in a folder as it was installing onto pc. It looked something like c: folder/folder/dahua/folder/xxx. This was in the progress bar as files were installing. I have been wondering the same thing about changing software but i have no idea how to set this up or what the brand actually is. Laview customer service sucks, manual is no help either and most youtube videos are outdated. I am getting close to pulling it down and shipping it back.

venezian

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got my system as well and i'm thinking of returning it as well. Support is pretty responsive, but not much help. I've tried everything they've suggested and so far nothing has worked. I've emailed them more details with screen shots of the web gui at their request and I was told that they would forward that to the manufacturer.
I bought this because the price was too good. $699 for the LV-N5216D6E DVR with 4 LV-PZ804N4 cameras. I figured this was going to be a perfect upgrade to my LV-N9808C8E system that's a couple of years old. I just got annoyed by the awful motion sensing that got triggered by anything and received over 500 email alerts a day.

My current issue with the new system is that it is not allowing me to set a motion area / grid for my older cameras. It only works on the new cams and the email alert settings do not work. The security options available to me or None or SSL, there is not TLS option. There's also other inconsistencies between the console menu and the web interface.

One tech told me that's why the price was so low, that it's a brand new product. Yea, it seems like great hardware with shitty firmware.

The good thing is LTS building is about 6 miles from where I live so I can just bring the box back to them. 25 days remaining to see if there's any fix for these issues.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone found a resolution to these issues. I received this system and am having trouble getting the email to pass a test and the only motion that seems to record is when the cameras go from color to IR at night.

southsidej

n3wb
Reaction score
Ronmac, I was able to get motion recording working by doing the following on each camera individually. I unplugged the camera from the NVR, then connected my laptop directly to it using a PoE injector and hardcoding my laptop IP address to one in the same subnet as the default IP address of the camera; logged in using default ID/PW and turned on motion detection. Once that's done, connect back up to the NVR. This was the only way I could get the motion setting to be persistent.

On the email front, I used Gmail's recommended settings for SSL.