LaView NVR w/ Reolink camera

Reaction score
I bought a LaView (LV-N9808C8E) system with 4 cameras, but 2 of them died, and now I'm trying to find replacement cameras. Browsing here, I found threads where people have gotten Reolink (RLC-410-5MP) camera working with my NVR. So I went ahead and bought one, but I'm unable to get it connected using ONVIF protocol with default settings. I made sure the login/password is correct. Any ideas?

My current thinking is maybe trying to upgrade the NVR firmware. Ever since I got it a few years ago I haven't upgraded the firmware. Any other suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Return the reolinks and try a better camera...

In all likelihood LaView is hikvision rebranded, so purchase one of those cams...

If you get the reos to work with it, it comes at a tremendous loss of functionality, and poor night time performance.

Reaction score
I can probably live with the poor night time performance. I just want to get this Reolink to work. Or ANY camera around the $50 price point for that matter.

Regarding Hikvision, any recommendations for cameras around the $50-75 price point? The cameras that came with the LaView system are 2MP PoE. I can't find anything like that for less than $100 from Hikvision, and even if I did, I'm not sure if they would be compatible. That's the reason I went with Reolink; they are in my budget, sold at amazon so easy to return if they didn't work, and there are some good reviews for the Reolink NVR (if I can't find any cameras that can work with this Laview NVR, theres no other choice than to replace it with something else)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Poor night time performance aside, reolinks work best with reolink NVR despite their claims of being able to work with other systems - they are slowly moving towards a completely proprietary system. The good reviews you read about are based on static images. Any camera can perform well when there is zero motion...

You could probably find an Amcrest camera closer to your budget that would perform better, both in performance and with compatibility with that NVR. Amcrest is Dahua OEM.

But we really encourage you to look at this thread if you are considering moving to Reolinks if you are looking to replace the NVR. If all you care about is what time something happened and bird watching, then they are probably ok...but if you want anything usable that could help the police, keep looking....

This is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1642593053355.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree that that still pic is horrible, but to be fair, while that 1 frame sucks, the video clip would be better right? I don't have any experience with nicer systems, my current LaView cameras are probably just as bad :)

I'll take a look at the Amcrest ones. And how I've come to know of Reolink is through some research (not super indepth) on which systems to get. There are some good reviews on youtube that pit it against others, like the Unifi (which seems like a premium system).
For example, this one:
Just wanted to add, I really appreciate you taking the time to repsond :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the video where that snapshot came from - can you really freeze frame it to get a good nighttime capture of a perp?

LOL - don't get people started on the Hookup LOL - he gets affiliate commission. Unifi is a proprietary system overpriced for its performance.

If you are seriously considering the reos based on the Hookup, please take a look at the thread I posted above - you will find not one good night time video performance from the reo's, despite us asking folks to provide their great performance that they claim...not one person that posted nighttime video or a freeze frame from someone in motion is any good...look up how many threads have been started here by people saying they were burned by the Hookup and now have cameras that do not perform well and most of them waited too long to install so they couldn't return them....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't everyone an expert on YouTube LOL...just remember many of those videos are by people being paid promotional dollars by a vendor and/or receiving revenue by YouTube based on number of hits they get and/or some affiliate discount. In the past few months we have seen many people come here after being burned by hookup...

Plus, when someone has 200,000+ subscribers, inevitably they will start to push consumer grade stuff that is "plug-n-play" because they do not want to take thousands of posts asking what does this setting do and what does that setting do...

I would suggest finding the reviews for the cameras here. You will find much better examples here than out on YouTube or Amazon. The members here put them through their paces. Most of the YouTube videos just use auto settings and many do not show motion, so the images look great. It is motion at night that we are interested in, and every review of cameras here have folks providing video clips of their camera in action at multiple settings and shutter speeds, etc. Auto settings results in blur and ghosts during motion at night and is useless. Most Amazon reviews if they include images are static images of no motion.

Regardless of the item, I have found most Amazon reviews to be useless LOL. Even more so when I know something about a product and see either great or poor reviews on it when I have first-hand experience of the product.

Plus the YouTube videos tend to be full productions for the likes and thus YouTube revenue, where the folks here post videos for the sole sake of letting others know how well or not the cameras perform. Now some here do an excellent job of post-production of the reviews of cameras with text narrative and overlays of the settings, etc., but most of us just put out raw video for you to see for yourself.

A great camera can be placed at the wrong spot, which then leads to bad reviews on an otherwise great camera. Likewise, a novice surveillance camera user goes by static images and boasts about how great a camera is when it really isn't very good with motion. So if someone calls it a security camera, then maybe do not put much stock in what they say :lmao:

This forum allows others to actually see videos of these cameras at locations and can then make a determination on if that is similar to their situation (lighting, distance, etc.) and would that camera be the right or wrong selection for what they are trying to achieve.

As you start searching here, you will see many here talk about Andy's or Nelly's cameras (two of many vendors on this site. We have a rep from Amcrest and others here as well), but lets face it, those cameras are OEMs of Dahua or Hikvision, so talking about them also covers Amcrest, Lorex, Annke, etc.

And occasionally someone does post here some video showing some great quality from a cheaper no name camera, but it is rare. Even rarer to see good nighttime performance from the consumer grade cameras one finds at the big box stores.

But we have posts dedicated to Reolinks and others and we openly invite folks that come here and say how great those cams are to post examples of their excellent video quality. Have we seen that excellent video quality at night with motion....nope.

Just scroll through that thread where people that say their reo's provide great video and they provide an example and it is ghost/blur city at night.

Until someone can post a great night image or video of motion from the Rings, Reolinks, Nest, etc. of the world, you won't find many here to recommend them.

Here was an example @samplenhold had of an actual incident in his neighborhood with a comparison of his Andy cam (Dahua OEM) versus his neighbor's Ring camera - which one is better...

Reaction score
Thanks, i hear you loud and clear.

In the back of my mind, I know youtube reviews are not the most credible, and they're more created for views. And it's even more suspect if they are making money from affiliate sales. I do agree that they fill the niche for someone who lacks the time needed to truly do good research.

I'll start reading up here. I'm happy I found an active community here, and just to let you know I wish I had more time to really get into it, and configure a DIY system (the youtube guy also recommends blueiris the most), but I kind of just wished getting a IPCAM system would be a lot easier, as easy as buying a nest setup, or a reolink setup.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score

In the back of my mind, I know youtube reviews are not the most credible, and they're more created for views. And it's even more suspect if they are making money from affiliate sales. I do agree that they fill the niche for someone who lacks the time needed to truly do good research.

I'll start reading up here. I'm happy I found an active community here, and just to let you know I wish I had more time to really get into it, and configure a DIY system (the youtube guy also recommends blueiris the most), but I kind of just wished getting a IPCAM system would be a lot easier, as easy as buying a nest setup, or a reolink setup.
Hmm ?
Just buy a dahua nvr and dahua cameras. Mostly plug and play like reolink. Dahua has better webinterface than reolink (some cameras need app to config) ... and MUCH more settings.

No one needs blueiris. Sure its better than nvr and even more options, but for just surveillance nvr is enough.

There are basic cameras like IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 which are cheaper

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any system worth anything has set-up hours.

Almost any camera that you get will require dialing in the camera settings off of auto/default to get the best performance from the cameras.

If you want simplicity, then go with the big box store kits like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Night Owl, Swann, etc. that are plug-n-play (although you do get what you pay for)...as you cannot change camera settings - the camera will do what it wants to do to give a nice bright static image, which is at the cost of good video with motion.

You can get 4 Arlos up and running in 10 minutes.

That other thread I mentioned by @samplenhold , here is the difference between a Dahua OEM and a Ring...

Dahua OEM:
1642640604108.png

Ring:

1642640637830.png

Which one is more useful?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @diazswag209

1) you can not trust that particular Youtube reviewer .. see the prior link posted by @wittaj for more details.

2) Yes, security camera systems are significantly more complex than most people imagine, and most of us have incorrect concepts of what they can or can not do due to too many distorted Hollywood films / tvs as well as youtube videos / marketing / advertisements.

3) ".. just wished getting a IPCAM system would be a lot easier .. "
Yes, most of us wanted easy before we came here and wondered why what we already paid for did not do it's job.

Can you have a easier setup .. yes, but just like "just buy this" or "just buy that" .. depends on who you buy from and what you want.

example, very easy to just buy a vehicle .. once you bought it, will it meet your needs? ( did you buy a truck? and needed a family car? a commuter? a delivery car? a uber-axi? )

Unfortunately LaView suffered during the Pandemic, as well as the supply of products made in China .. so harder now to find replacements.

LaView (LV-N9808C8E) system - a quick search shows:

Max Resolution: 1080P (1920 x 1080) update: see the attached document from LaView, shows 6MP resolution support.

I believe it is a Hikvision OEM NVR.

Too bad we have issues with the supply chain, otherwise I would have expected to be able to find a lot of older hikvision oem cameras that would work with your NVR.

Perhaps now is a good time to upgrade to a better system?

iirc I have seen some Annke branded cameras which appear to be Hikvision that I would consider ..

ref:
1642652377821.png
1642652423546.png

I bought a LaView (LV-N9808C8E) system with 4 cameras, but 2 of them died, and now I'm trying to find replacement cameras. Browsing here, I found threads where people have gotten Reolink (RLC-410-5MP) camera working with my NVR. So I went ahead and bought one, but I'm unable to get it connected using ONVIF protocol with default settings. I made sure the login/password is correct. Any ideas?

My current thinking is maybe trying to upgrade the NVR firmware. Ever since I got it a few years ago I haven't upgraded the firmware. Any other suggestions?
Agree that that still pic is horrible, but to be fair, while that 1 frame sucks, the video clip would be better right? I don't have any experience with nicer systems, my current LaView cameras are probably just as bad :)

I'll take a look at the Amcrest ones. And how I've come to know of Reolink is through some research (not super indepth) on which systems to get. There are some good reviews on youtube that pit it against others, like the Unifi (which seems like a premium system).
For example, this one:
Just wanted to add, I really appreciate you taking the time to repsond :)

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
....LOL Another Reolinker? Another LA Viewer? ....

for 54$ on Amazon you'd get better compatibility with LA View on the Amcrest branded cams. like the 1179EW, for $54 bucks.
But eventually you'll "see"... You get what you pay for on IP cams.

Reaction score
It's great the community here is so active. I really appreciate that.

Thanks for recommending the Amcrest. Let's say I do decide to go with something nicer that works with my NVR, which ones would it be?

I googled for compatible camera list, but it seems that list is old. I can't find a single camera on that list for sale. I'd prefer to buy it from some place like Amazon where I can return if it isn't compatible.

UPDATE: due to lack of time for research, I went with the Amcrest brand and got this one: Amcrest UltraHD 5MP Outdoor POE Camera 2592 x 1944p Bullet IP Security Camera, Outdoor IP67 Waterproof, 103° Viewing Angle, 2.8mm Lens, 98.4ft Night Vision, 5-Megapixel, IP5M-B1186EW-28MM (White)

I'll report back with updates... Thanks guys

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update from last post... I bought the Amcrest IPCAM (IP5M-B1186EW-28MM), and when plugging it in and letting it setup automatically via plug and play, it just stays on Status "Detecting" in the LaView NVR software. I tried changing the protocol to ONVIP, and it doesn't even get to "detecting". Any idea how I can get this camera working with LaView (or does this mean it doesn't work, and i need to return it?)

It's been very time consuming buying/returning cameras to hope it works with this NVR. How do you guys know which one works and which doesn't? Any recommendations?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update from last post... I bought the Amcrest IPCAM (IP5M-B1186EW-28MM), and when plugging it in and letting it setup automatically via plug and play, it just stays on Status "Detecting" in the LaView NVR software. I tried changing the protocol to ONVIP, and it doesn't even get to "detecting". Any idea how I can get this camera working with LaView (or does this mean it doesn't work, and i need to return it?)

It's been very time consuming buying/returning cameras to hope it works with this NVR. How do you guys know which one works and which doesn't? Any recommendations?
Hi @diazswag209

You need to set BOTH the NVRs channel you are using and the camera to ONVIF mode .. and check that the ip, port, channels, user / password are synced

you may need to manually set things in their appropriate interfaces

( also do double check that the NVR supports the resolution of the camera )

Reaction score
Hi @diazswag209

You need to set BOTH the NVRs channel you are using and the camera to ONVIF mode .. and check that the ip, port, channels, user / password are synced

you may need to manually set things in their appropriate interfaces

( also do double check that the NVR supports the resolution of the camera )
Googling for documentation as we speak, will update this post later. Thanks!

Reaction score
Mat200, do you know if I need to install the PC Amcrest software to enable ONVIF? I have the mobile app working and can see video, but I don't see any ONVIF settings on the mobile app. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be able to access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1642813307223.png

If for some reason LaView doesn't give you that screen, then you should be able to simply go to a browser (try Internet Explorer) and type in the IP address of the camera (for this you may need to take it off the NVR so that you can access the camera) and log in that way.