LED vs IR consideration

polaris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any consensus in the forum when you should prefer LED lighting (which is in those "full color" cameras) over IR and vice versa? I've checked cliff notes and LED is not mentioned at all.

While reading reviews I get the idea that:
  • LED lighting is good for restricted spaces (eg. entrance to the home) as LED lighting should be enought to get color picture for additional evidence even if no other lights are turned on
  • Full color cameras with LED lighting is also good if there's additional lighting available in the view (night lights, street lights)
  • IR lighting is good for larger/open spaces where there isn't many other lights (eg. wide overview camera)
  • Generally, it is possible to use IR 1/1.8" 4MP cameras in color mode and switch to IR if it gets really really dark getting the best of both worlds?

Am I thinking right?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So for me, I'd only consider using motion activated LED cam if I had enough white light to run forced color at night to begin with. The LED light would activate only when motion is detected in order to supplement existing lighting to the scene so you can get a good video capture. Its not something I'd leave on 12 hours at a time over night. You would do better to run a dedicated flood overnight.

I decided to go with the IR version of the 5442 in my backyard. I backup to woods and it's pitch black out there and I don't want to illuminate my backyard overnight. So my cam switches to IR at night and I run black white.

My .02 cents anyway.

Reaction score
Like @biggen I also think if your intent is to have the LED on all night, you are better off getting dedicated lighting for that purpose. Even if you have lots of light at night, having that additional LED come on can help. But I prefer to just go with the non-LED cam and use as much other lighting as possible, else be on IR. Your last bullet point is correct.

Unfortunately, the only way to know if you have enough existing light at night to run in color is to try it. So if you get a cam, try it out on a test rig BEFORE you run wires and mount it.

I have three wide angle overview cams that are mounted high and run color 24/7. They give a good enough picture at night for the purpose they are tasked with. I have several cams that are tasked with getting face shots in full color 24/7 but have enough light in each position for that to work. In a couple of those positions, I had to upgrade the lighting to make it work. I have one cam that runs IR at night since there is just not enough light to run color.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with above, most of the time dedicated supplemental lighting will be better

I would look at the LED version only in a few instances off the top of my head

1- at an entrance area (door, window) that I really wanted good color ID at close in and had no other white light easily available

2- as a fail safe like I have at my front door in case entryway light doesn't come on, bulb out, etc... ( I only have this because I tested it, otherwise probably wouldn’t have it)