lenovo core I5

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys just scored a lenovo core I5 it was going too the bin, i can see 8gb ram inside
if i were to put a new hard drive and windows 10 would this work OK for blue iris i wanted to get into the blue iris software, as i am always reading on what this software can actually do and keep it separate from the hikvision i have already set up on the network.
just run a few cameras to blue iris of the switch network

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys just scored a lenovo core I5 it was going too the bin, i can see 8gb ram inside
if i were to put a new hard drive and windows 10 would this work OK for blue iris i wanted to get into the blue iris software, as i am always reading on what this software can actually do and keep it separate from the hikvision i have already set up on the network.
just run a few cameras to blue iris of the switch network
i5 is a meaningless term..there is a huge variation between generations and models...what is the exact model?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi fenderman its got on the bottom sticker thinkcenter m81 machine type 5032 model number G4m

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fenderman its got on the bottom sticker thinkcenter m81 machine type 5032 model number G4m
do you have windows loaded so you can see the actual processor model?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
no i just saved it from the bin about an hr ago they pulled all the hard drives out and smashed them its off a mine site its cost me nothing so if its not worth it
as i would say its five years old now.i haven't lost any thing and will look at a newer type i just want to get into blue iris on a separate machine like you do.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an i5 system and would appreciate any informed info about the performance of the different models. I'm not asking anybody to do research for me, just tell what you might already know. I'm looking at gen 3 Ivy Bridge and gen 4 Haswell. I know to avoid the S, T, and P suffixes and the 2-core models. That leaves at least 6 Ivy Bridge and 7 Haswell socketed models to choose from. How the heck does one figure out which are the good and bad ones?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - typically there is a number on a sticker which will allow you to ID the specs of the system when it was built. Look for that, and try to look it up on the lenovo site.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Best advice I can give is get an i7!

It's not just about the processing power, faster processors live longer before slowing down. There's an article on it but I don't have time to find it at this time in a morning (5am here).

Suffice to say, I built and i7 Desktop and bought an i5 laptop at the same time.

5 years later, the laptop I hardly ever use, is slowed considerably, probably within the 1st 18 months. The i7 desktop which I use probably on average 12+ hours per day, 7 days a week, is as fast as ever. My biggest regret is not buying an i7 in the laptop.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI - typically there is a number on a sticker which will allow you to ID the specs of the system when it was built. Look for that, and try to look it up on the lenovo site.
Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 - SFF - Core i5 2500 3.3 GHz - 4 GB - 250 GB Thanks Matt thats what it is minus the hard drive but has 8gb ram

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Lenovo ThinkCentre M81 - SFF - Core i5 2500 3.3 GHz - 4 GB - 250 GB Thanks Matt thats what it is minus the hard drive but has 8gb ram
  • integrated
  • Graphics Processor
    Intel HD Graphics 2000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
According to wikipedia info, the core i5 2500 is the 2nd from the top end 2nd generation Sandy Bridge i5. Sandy Bridge was the first generation to have Quick Sync. Every generation since had enhancements to Quick Sync, and I've got no clue how significant that is or isn't.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
According to wikipedia info, the core i5 2500 is the 2nd from the top end 2nd generation Sandy Bridge i5. Sandy Bridge was the first generation to have Quick Sync. Every generation since had enhancements to Quick Sync, and I've got no clue how significant that is or isn't.

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
It was free. So I will get a new windows ten and buy blue iris for it.
Gives me a chance to learn blue iris
Hikvision has annoyed me lately

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an i5 system and would appreciate any informed info about the performance of the different models. I'm not asking anybody to do research for me, just tell what you might already know. I'm looking at gen 3 Ivy Bridge and gen 4 Haswell. I know to avoid the S, T, and P suffixes and the 2-core models. That leaves at least 6 Ivy Bridge and 7 Haswell socketed models to choose from. How the heck does one figure out which are the good and bad ones?
I will read everything there is I have no clue yet but that’s the best part learning from others and some trial and error.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will read everything there is I have no clue yet but that’s the best part learning from others and some trial and error.
'Free' can have a nice ring to it, the described PC should be a decent basis to get a start at learning more about BI with a small investment.
But a word of caution about used and > 5 year old motherboards: inspect all capacitors carefully, the top of the larger ones have 3 score lines to weaken the case so if it fails, the electrolytic will ooze out of the top of the expanded case instead of exploding and spraying the corrosive stuff all over the board. These larger caps are usually deployed as filters and when they fail, normal everyday EMI and RFI in the proximity, including its own, can cause systems hangs, reboots, etc. I had one once that did NOT like a cell phone within about 6 feet!
Like hard drives, heat can be the worst enemy of capacitors and batteries, second only to 'Father Time'.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
well got a new windows 10 ops, and a full blue iris key $260 for both aud ,well worth it.
there are some good you tube videos on the software looks cool too.
i have lots of questions but the fun is finding the out before asking thanks guys bit of a change from hik
now to get some dahua starlight's and see what all the fuss is about.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you've got it free, then you really can't go wrong. :) The i5 performs relatively well and with plenty of memory (RAM) you'll have a decent laptop.

1st improvement to any laptop (should you want to improve it), is ditch the Hardrive in favour of an SSD. You will need some means of cloning the content before making the switch though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you've got it free, then you really can't go wrong. :) The i5 performs relatively well and with plenty of memory (RAM) you'll have a decent laptop.

1st improvement to any laptop (should you want to improve it), is ditch the Hardrive in favour of an SSD. You will need some means of cloning the content before making the switch though.
For the record, the OP said (and attached a photo) that it's a small form factor desktop, which IS better in that there'd likely be additional room for a WD purple hard drive for Blue Iris video files and he could put the O/S and the Blue Iris database on that SSD.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
For the record, the OP said (and attached a photo) that it's a small form factor desktop, which IS better in that there'd likely be additional room for a WD purple hard drive for Blue Iris video files and he could put the O/S and the Blue Iris database on that SSD.
Getting there, lots more buttons on this to learn
Working on viewing this desk top on the down stairs computer so I can be at one point

Attachments

Kpog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice, good luck with the setup. I too need to learn all the functions of BI. For the most part it is very intuitive.