Lets talk about UPS power supplies

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CaliGirl, Jun 12, 2017.

Share This Page

1. NoloC

NoloC Getting comfortable

Isn't USB dead when the machine is off? NIC still up if power applied. I think.

2. tangent

tangent Known around here

I'm usually running Tomato or Merlin so it's very easy. Basically you pull up the device list and click one button and it does it. You can also write a script to do it on these firmwares. I forget if the stock Asus fw has this function.

3. tangent

Depends on the computer. Also on S state. After power outage if might be while after a soft shutdown it might not be. Also some PCs have some USB ports that put out power no matter what. There could still be some machines that have an option to enable power on by keyboard which could power up the USB port (the last PC I had that could do this was from 2005).

4. ldasilva

ldasilva Pulling my weight

you dont need the card with that one so long as you have Automatic Restore enabled and BI set to boot from power on

5. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Use Agent if you connect the computer to the UPS with a USB or Serial cable. Agent, which is the primary means of communication for a basic setup between a computer and the UPS, supports a limitless number of clients.

I'll admit, I could be all wet, but this is what my pea brain makes of this, no card required:

Power Restore When a utility power failure occurs, PowerPanel® Business Edition software may order the computer to shut down and power off after the specified remaining runtime is met or if the battery capacity is low. After the utility power is restored the UPS turns on automatically and supplies power to the computer. If the computer BIOS is set to boot when power is restored the computer will automatically restart. The following settings are used to configure the UPS restore behavior:  Automatic Restore: When this option is enabled, the UPS will restore output immediately when the utility power is restored. When this option is disabled, the UPS will not restore output at that moment and users have to turn it on manually.  Mandatory Power Cycle: When a shutdown sequence is initiated due to a power failure, the connected computers may be ordered to shut down and the UPS will be also ordered to turn off after a time delay. If the utility power is restored prior to the UPS shutting off, the UPS will still turn itself off. In this circumstance, the utility power has restored, but the connected computers have shut down and the UPS has turned off. If the Mandatory Power Cycle option is enabled, the UPS will also turn off after a time delay, but it will turn on again about 10 seconds later. The UPS has restarted and then all connected computers will boot. Note: Most computers have the ability to boot when utility power is restored. Make sure this function is supported and enabled in the system BIOS.  Recharged Delay: When the utility power is restored, the UPS will start to recharge until the specified delay is expired before restoring output power.  Recharged Capacity: When the utility power is restored, the UPS will start to recharge until the specified battery capacity is met before restoring output power.  Startup Delay: When the utility power is restored, the UPS will delay the restoration of output power. This option can be used to stagger the startup time of multiple UPS to avoid overloading the utility power circuit or power source. The Startup Delay option will take effect every time when the UPS is about to restore power. This also includes the scheduling task.  Stable Utility Delay: When the utility power is restored, the UPS will delay switching to normal operation from using battery power. If the battery capacity is lower than the Low Battery Threshold as power is restored, the UPS will switch to normal operation immediately. This option can be used to prevent frequent outage due to unstable utility power.  Restore Action: Sets the operating mode after utility power restores. If the Bypass option is selected, the UPS will enter to bypass mode and supply power from the bypass module to connected equipment when utility power restores. If the Online option is selected, the UPS will supply power from the UPS modules to connected equipment when utility power restores. If the Standby option is selected, the UPS will be off when utility power restores.

NoloC likes this.
  6. ldasilva

ldasilva Pulling my weight

thats what i was looking at that shouldnt need a card

looney2ns likes this.
  7. looney2ns

Is simulated sinewave adequate for PFC power supplies?

8. tangent

it's better to use a "true sine wave" ups for an Active PFC PSU.

looney2ns likes this.
  9. NoloC

NoloC Getting comfortable

So obviously Looney you need to buy one and let us know.:)

looney2ns likes this.
  10. looney2ns

@CaliGirl Under network tools, on my stock Asus, there is a wake on lan tool. My asus is on the latest firmware. I've not tried it as yet.

11. looney2ns

With the proper bios settings in my Optiplex, WOL works perfectly from the stock Asus firmware.

12. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

I've actually never successfully used Wake on LAN because the computers I wanted to do it with didn't support it (the NIC would be offline when the PC was off). Wake on LAN is rather unimportant when you have the PC connected to a remote controllable power outlet anyway.

13. NVR990

NVR990 Young grasshopper

As a point of reference, I just tested my PC and router with a "Kill A Watt" meter. PC was 55W. Router was 15W, so total = 70W

PC is HP EliteDesk with i7-7700 CPU, 1 SSD, and 2 spinning hard drives. Running only Blue Iris and an anti-virus program. Monitor is not included in the 55W figure.

Router is ASUS with integrated Wifi radio and integrated Gigabit switch (no PoE ports.)

nuraman00 and fenderman like this.
  14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

what is the cpu load on the pc?

15. NVR990

NVR990 Young grasshopper

15%-20%. Running 13 2MP cams at avg frame rate of 12.

16. nuraman00

nuraman00 Getting the hang of it

What do you think the load on the PC would be if it weren't running any cams?

17. NVR990

NVR990 Young grasshopper

I just manually disabled each of the cameras in BI. With all cameras disabled, and BI still running, CPU load was between 0%-1%.

18. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

I'm pretty sure he meant idle power consumption when he said "load".

Kind of a pain in the ass to measure though since it involves shutting the machine off a few times.

19. NVR990

NVR990 Young grasshopper

Without BlueIris GUI (or service) running (but with anti-virus software), power draw from the PC is roundly 18W.

Oddly, there seems to be little difference in power draw between 1) BI service ON (monitor off) and 2) BI Full GUI ON (also with monitor off). Both are roundly 54W-55W.

Perhaps when monitor is switched off, BI detects that there is no display connected, and "knows" not to send signal for GUI, thereby approximating the power-consumption of the service mode??

Even more confusing is that the PC CPU cycles (as observed via the BI app) drop from about 18% to about 12% when I exit the GUI on the PC. Because of this, I would have expected more of a PC wattage consumption difference between "service" and "GUI" modes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  20. nuraman00

21. nuraman00

Yeah, I meant power, not CPU consumption.

22. nuraman00

I'm cross-posting this from another thread.

I've plugged in:

Router, modem, landline phone, and Tivo. This takes 36 - 39 Watts.

I couldn't plug in the Ooma because the shape of the plug blocks too many outlets. So that's in my old surge protector for now.

This seems pretty good, pre-NVR.

I might get another APC later for the PC, monitor, and Ooma.

I have 2 empty battery backed outlets, which would be good for the NVR, and maybe a network switch if I ever get one. Hopefully the switch doesn't have a weird shaped plug that blocks outlets.

I ran into some problems because my network wasn't recognized anymore after plugging in the router and modem into the APC.

It kept saying "unplugged".

After about 45 mins of trouble shooting, I figured out that one of the new Ethernet cables I used in this expanded setup was defective. I swapped it with another cable, and everything worked. At first, I thought something was wrong with the APC Ethernet ports, so I tried to plug in the cables the way they were before, without the APC. When that wasn't working, tried each of the new cables I had used today until I figured out which one was the bad one.

How do I see the APC runtime with the current load? Even after plugging in things today and having a load, it still says 179 minutes. That can't be right, because that's what it said before I plugged in things.

23. looney2ns

24. nuraman00

25. nuraman00

I don't see a link or attachment, can you please repost?

I also just saw this:

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156599/

It says that if the load is less than 10%, which in my case (pre-NVR) is 4%, then it doesn't accurately report the remaining time.

26. nuraman00

I just tried my cable modem, which uses 2 prongs, into both of those 3 prong extensions that I have. The cable modem plug wouldn't fit into either one.

I guess I need a proper 2 prong extension.

27. smoothie

smoothie Getting the hang of it