Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I plugged in the following into a Kill A Watt meter:

* Speakers (two power cords)
* PC power
* Monitor
* Light switch
* Ooma VoIP

I plan to move the speakers to the "surge only" ports of my APC battery backup, once I get a longer power cord, in a few days.

With the PC and monitor off, the devices used about 28 watts. If I turned on the light switch, it went to about 35 watts.

With the PC and monitor on, the devices used from 188 - 246 watts, depending on when I looked at it.

So it appears the PC and monitor use about 160 - 218 watts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plugged in the following into a Kill A Watt meter:

* Speakers (two power cords)
* PC power
* Monitor
* Light switch
* Ooma VoIP

I plan to move the speakers to the "surge only" ports of my APC battery backup, once I get a longer power cord, in a few days.

With the PC and monitor off, the devices used about 28 watts. If I turned on the light switch, it went to about 35 watts.

With the PC and monitor on, the devices used from 188 - 246 watts, depending on when I looked at it.

So it appears the PC and monitor use about 160 - 218 watts.
you have a very inefficient PC or montitor....

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you have a very inefficient PC or montitor....
I used this calculator in July, and it estimated the desktop and monitor would use 270 - 305 watts, once I entered all of the components.

I entered my CPU, video card, hard drive, optical drive, fan, monitor.

Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision

If you think it would help, I can list the exact components.

What do you think a PC + monitor should take?

According to this, it says the monitor should use 45 watts:

Samsung 2253LW Specs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used this calculator in July, and it estimated the desktop and monitor would use 270 - 305 watts, once I entered all of the components.

I entered my CPU, video card, hard drive, optical drive, fan, monitor.

Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision

If you think it would help, I can list the exact components.

What do you think a PC + monitor should take?

According to this, it says the monitor should use 45 watts:

Samsung 2253LW Specs
That calculator is complete BS and a waste of time.
It would depend on the pc and monitor...
What are the pc components?
Standard i5- 4-6th gen based systems use 25-50w under 25-50 percent load....maxed out at 100 percent they draw 70-80w.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That calculator is complete BS and a waste of time.
It would depend on the pc and monitor...
What are the pc components?
Standard i5- 4-6th gen based systems use 25-50w under 25-50 percent load....maxed out at 100 percent they draw 70-80w.
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: Radeon HD 6870

(This says it uses 162 watts):

AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market

DVD Burner: ASUS 24X
Power Supply: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus CMPSU-750HX
CPU: AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+

(This says Power Wattage: 95 Watts)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200RPM 16MB

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: Radeon HD 6870

(This says it uses 162 watts):

AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market

DVD Burner: ASUS 24X
Power Supply: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus CMPSU-750HX
CPU: AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+

(This says Power Wattage: 95 Watts)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200RPM 16MB
That video card is useless for bi..your issue is using an inefficient AMD processor with an inefficient card... terrible combo for bi

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are also using max tdp numbers...that is not actual consumption..a 100 dollar Intel i5 third gen or above PC will blow that PC away performance wise and use much less power... paying for itself...see wiki

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That video card is useless for bi..your issue is using an inefficient AMD processor with an inefficient card... terrible combo for bi
I'm not using blue Iris. That's just my home desktop.

I have a soon-to-be-installed Dahua NVR5416-16P-4KS2E NVR.

Right now, in my APC, I have my router, modem, switch, Tivo DVR, Ooma VoIP backed up, and the Dahua NVR will soon be in the 6th battery backed up slot.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd APC, for my home desktop. But was also trying to evaluate how much power it uses, so I could determine if it's really worth it.

I might get a simple battery backup and not do the PC, just to back up my land line phone.

I'm still thinking about what option to do.

As for the AMD CPU, it was probably good for its time, in terms of power consumption.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are also using max tdp numbers...that is not actual consumption..a 100 dollar Intel i5 third gen or above PC will blow that PC away performance wise and use much less power... paying for itself...see wiki
What does TDP mean?

Also, just for reference, when I bought the AMD CPU in October 2011, it was $180.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not using blue Iris. That's just my home desktop.

I have a soon-to-be-installed Dahua NVR5416-16P-4KS2E NVR.

Right now, in my APC, I have my router, modem, switch, Tivo DVR, Ooma VoIP backed up, and the Dahua NVR will soon be in the 6th battery backed up slot.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd APC, for my home desktop. But was also trying to evaluate how much power it uses, so I could determine if it's really worth it.

I might get a simple battery backup and not do the PC, just to back up my land line phone.

I'm still thinking about what option to do.

As for the AMD CPU, it was probably good for its time, in terms of power consumption.
Was far behind intel second gen i5 in terms of power consumption...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thermal design power...if you are using it for more than a few hours a day an efficient replacement will pay for itself..

Last edited:

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a similar or better performance, lower power video card you'd recommend? How have the advances been for video cards and power consumption?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a similar or better performance, lower power video card you'd recommend? How have the advances been for video cards and power consumption?
You are way better off simply replacing the PC... For $100 you can replace it with a much more efficient system.. for under two hundred bucks you can get a modern I-5 6500 based Intel PC..

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's an example:

I wanted a PC to run Blue Iris exclusively, and needed another new PC to run Photoshop/Lightroom. I found two Dell XPS 8920 Desktop I7-7700 16GB RAM 2TB HDD, used on EBAY (refurbs). They both came with the 16GB RAM, but I added another 16GB to the "photoshop" machine. I also added a 4TB WD Purple drive to the BI machine.

I bought a 1500 Watt rated sine wave Cyber Power UPS to run both of those machines as well as their monitors. Right now, the cameras, their POE switch and all of that other stuff is on a separate UPS along with another PC that is about 10 years old, that I built using a 6-core AMD processor. That system had been getting extremely slow running Photoshop, and needs to have a clean re-install of Win 7.

The UPS has a display that shows various parameters, one of which is the wattage currently being consumed by whatever is connected to the "battery backed" AC outlets. I leave both of these new PCs running at all times with NO power saving enabled. So they actually run all of the time, never sleep, doze, loaf, or whatever they call it. I don't ever use a "screen saver", I just let the monitors sleep (black screen).

So, with both of these machines on and running, Blue Iris minimized, and the other PC doing nothing (although, they never really do "nothing"), the power consumption for the two machines and their sleeping monitors is showing as 30 watts! That's amazing to me because when I have checked my older machine, it uses around 200 Watts (just that one PC) when sitting idle.

So these newer PCs really are amazingly power efficient. And that saves on the power bill, especially for someone like me who leaves them on 24/7. But in addition, it means that if there's a power failure, the "run time" on the UPS will be a LOT longer than what it would have been for the old PC.

So now, rather than cleaning up my old Win 7 PC, I will probably find another refurbished newer PC to take its place. It's just not worth messing with anymore.

I need to see what the power consumption goes up to when I'm working the Photoshop PC hard, crunching on, for example, a video clip converting "frames to layers" or batch converting a bunch of RAW files, etc. But since most of the time, things will be running just the way they were when I made that test, the power consumption under "hard use" is largely irrelevant. And the length of time I'll get running on the UPS before its battery runs down will almost certainly be under those same conditions.

As a side note, Photoshop will also make use of the Quick Sync features in the newer Intel PCs, and I have that enabled on the new (to me) PC. It's a huge amount faster than the old PC despite having 2 fewer cores in the processor and having a similar main clock frequency compared to my old machine. I'm very happy that I upgraded.

fenderman is right. I think you'd be highly impressed and quite happy with a newer, more efficient PC rather than trying to make the one you've got do what you need. The Quick Sync graphics processing built into the newer Intel processors is well worth having, IMO.

Oh, and running 7 cameras at 15fps, Five of them 3MP, and two 2MP, I usually see about 13% CPU usage. That goes up to 15% or so when I have the GUI showing and I'm rooting around with things.

I'm still not especially thrilled with Win 10, it'll take some getting used to, but 7 will eventually be obsoleted by MS, so I guess I need to get used to 10, anyhow.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are way better off simply replacing the PC... For $100 you can replace it with a much more efficient system.. for under two hundred bucks you can get a modern I-5 6500 based Intel PC..
Can you show me how you got a i5 6500 CPU and motherboard for $200? How many cores did it have? I couldn't find a combination for $200.

I'd have to replace the motherboard, since I'm currently running a AMD AM3+ one.

And wouldn't my current video card still be a limiting factor? The article I linked to above says it uses 162 watts. How much lower power, with comparable performance, can I get?

This isn't a blue iris PC, but one just for my home use.

I agree it doesn't make sense to get a 2nd battery backup APC, which I'd use for the PC, until I reduce the power on my PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you show me how you got a i5 6500 CPU and motherboard for $200? How many cores did it have? I couldn't find a combination for $200.

I'd have to replace the motherboard, since I'm currently running a AMD AM3+ one.

And wouldn't my current video card still be a limiting factor? The article I linked to above says it uses 162 watts. How much lower power, with comparable performance, can I get?

This isn't a blue iris PC, but one just for my home use.

I agree it doesn't make sense to get a 2nd battery backup APC, which I'd use for the PC, until I reduce the power on my PC.
I can show you how to buy an entire i5-6500 system including windows 10 pro for 200 or less... search eBay for optiplex, prodesk and elitedesk. You would toss your card in the trash and use intel integrated graphics...and your card is not using 162, that was total system ...

Last edited:

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do you leave the Photoshop/Lightroom PC on all the time? Thanks for the details.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the power supplies on the tower and sff (not micro) optiplex like the op has require the pfc sinewave ups because they have active pfc power supplies...others may or may not work..
was browsing this old thread because I am looking to us a UPS battery back up for my dell optiplex 7040 which is a SFF tower. Is this still accurate that I must use a UPS which has "pfc sinewave" in the description?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
was browsing this old thread because I am looking to us a UPS battery back up for my dell optiplex 7040 which is a SFF tower. Is this still accurate that I must use a UPS which has "pfc sinewave" in the description?
If the pc has a pfc power supply you need a pure sinewave ups.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the pc has a pfc power supply you need a pure sinewave ups.
thanks! do you know how I would check to see if my power supply is pfc? I have a Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF i5-650 but who knows maybe it was switched out at some point as i bought it used. Is there something i can type into the cmd to find? or do i need to open the pc and look for something written on the PSU?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.