Lets talk low end NVR

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know what a NVR is does etc..
I have 2 SUNBA cameras. 1 old507 model and a newer illuminati. I also have a nest cam on my doorbell.
I DO NOT NEED THIS SETUP FOR SECURITY.
What I do want is a 4 port PoE capable system. (currently using a laptop, not enough CPU power but works) 1 to 2TB HD
I only need to record when motion is detected, I don't feel the need for 24/7 recording, but if that is how they all work fine.
I have an extra router, so I may just keep this as a stand alone system with no internet access. I am retired, no need to see what is going on while at the grocery store.
The rear illuminati is mainly to watch the animals that come through my yard and keep an eye on my astronomy equipment when in use.
So been looking at all the stuff on Ebay/Amazon. I hate buying electronics when I can't see, touch, feel them before I buy.
I don't feel I need a $500 NVR, but I also don't want a $50 POS.

Suggestions what to look for, read up on, stay away from??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to match manufacturer of camera to NVR - mixing brands may work...but they may not. If cameras and NVR say ONVIF compatible, then likely at least the video stream will come in from the camera. You may not have full controls of PTZ with the lower end.

Calculate the bandwidth your cameras are using to transmit. Either calculate it with the methods in the wiki or download a trial of Blue Iris and see what it says your camera usage bandwidth is. The reason for this is all NVRs are not created equal! The lower ends severely are limited in how much data they can pass through the ethernet port. Lower ends may only pass 20MB/s or less and if your cameras are processing higher, you get lags and delays or downrez video or no video at all.

Make sure the NVR is truly capable of the resolution your cams are. Many will say 4K or some other resolution, but it is only one channel that can do that and the rest are lower. My friend bought some no-name NVR and the remaining cameras can only be seen in 720 as only camera one (port 1) is capable of 4K.

Suggest if possible to keep the POE ports off the NVR - the low end will be low end quality - may not be able to pass the power needed to run two PTZ cameras. Get just a one ethernet port NVR and feed your cameras into a 4-port POE+ switch and then to the NVR. Side benefit is it will help with sound as a low end NVR with POE ports may have a loud fan. Plus if the POE ports go out on the NVR, it is new NVR time. Go with just ethernet port connection and likely be ok.

Since you are not connecting to the internet, no need to mention keeping cams and stuff from accessing internet.

Buy one from Amazon that has a return possible so you can try it and see if it will meet your needs plus give you control of the PTZs.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some interesting thoughts.
Suggest if possible to keep the POE ports off the NVR
I have a separate 4 port POE hub, guess I will just keep that.
Thanks for the link to the wiki, will have a look. Good point about ordering from Amazon, or some other USA retailer, easier to return.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I have 2 SUNBA Tech cameras, I reached out to them. I was surprised that they admitted their own NVR was kind of bottom of the line and that they
" If you would want to seek another NVR that works better, we recommend DS-7608NI-8P. "
But looking at that model: Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-8P, I see there are a ton of variants and knock offs. Even the ones listed in the IPCAMTALK store don't give a ton of info with them.

Still looking

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-8P, I see there are a ton of variants and knock offs
That's an incomplete model number.
There are at least 4 different NVR series that have that string in the model number, a couple of which are obsolete.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. so I have found. makes it very hard to tell what is what.
Finally just went and ordered this:
Hikvision ERI-Q104-P4 Value Express 4-Channel 4MP PoE NVR with 2TB HDD
Even if it ends up being pure junk, I paid less then what a 2tb hard drive for it would cost.
As I said, this is NOT a 24/7 security system, more of a critter cam and just incase system. Just want it to record when it sees movement and let me see better that via my hardwired switch and wifi laptop.
It works, but many lags and no recording.