Levitons New WiFi enabled switches

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nerp, not putting more hardwired fixed devices on wifi after spending so much effort taking em off.. I'll stick w/ZWave since it operates on 915Mhz ISM and where I dont have anything else talking at.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Light switches and appliances that require privacy policies just aren't appealing to me.

Not sure why people seem to get excited about selling this sort of information to advertisers. I guess they think they "understand" wifi and not having to buy other devices to control everything appeals to people. I don't think any of the wifi based 'smart' devices have a documented local api that doesn't depend on the 'cloud'.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nerp, not putting more hardwired fixed devices on wifi after spending so much effort taking em off.. I'll stick w/ZWave since it operates on 915Mhz ISM and where I dont have anything else talking at.
Ha, I assumed you wouldn't like it. More cloud carp, no thanks. So, say 20 of these in a house, that will screw with you WiFi and your neighbors I'm sure.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have two WEMO WiFi switches on my front door and garage outside lights. The biggest plus for me is they go on and off at Sunset and Sunrise. I haven't had to turn those light on or off for 3 months now.

Wife would always forget to turn them off in the AM, so 10 bulbs would be on all day, and I couldn't stand it. They also interface with the Nests.

SD

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's so special about these vs the z wave stuff?

EDIT: Ohh wait I think everything I have read about this stuff the past couple of months just clicked. Do the z wave devices connect to a central hub that then goes into your hardwired network? The connection to the hub is over a different frequency than WiFi? And this skips the hub (or node as I believe they are referred to as) and connects straight to your WiFi?

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have two WEMO WiFi switches on my front door and garage outside lights. The biggest plus for me is they go on and off at Sunset and Sunrise. I haven't had to turn those light on or off for 3 months now.
Other options for this are photocell control or "smart" switches. I like these astronomical Honeywell switches that adjust the time to your location as well as DST. This switch does require a neutral wire though. These have a vacation setting that turns lights on and off at random times too.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Other options for this are photocell control or "smart" switches. I like these astronomical Honeywell switches that adjust the time to your location as well as DST. This switch does require a neutral wire though. These have a vacation setting that turns lights on and off at random times too.
honeywell makes the best in-wall timers

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those look like more functionality at the same price. I like that the Wemo's interface with the Nest, but I never use them that way. Those are another viable option. I can turn my lights on and off from anywhere I have LTE/WiFi, but thats really just bells and whistles as I don't really need to.

SD

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think a lot (not all) of the smarthome WiFi stuff is just over priced gimmicky over market hyped for things not many people use and def do not "need" and is often more complex than the current solution....They show you the wow factor of turning on a light with your phone but that is so much more hassle than just getting up and flipping a switch. (get phone, unlock, open app, find function, press button...or get up and turn on the switch). So much of it is just "cool thing" technology...tech for the sake of tech...just because we can, not because it is better.
How often do you change the LED color of that wifi bulb in the living room lamp to really set the mood for movies?

I do think a lot of this would have immense functionality for the handicap population though, especially the more recent voice activation innovation options....I disagree with the use for the elderly. Could you imagine having to explain to grandma on the phone how to reboot the WiFi router when her kitchen light switch looses connectivity?

Most of the home monitoring \ security event trigger \ action stuff people have going here is an amazing use of this IOT tech revolution but this is a small percentage of the dollars being spent on this stuff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Home Automation only is capable of shining if your willing to learn how to code; turning on/off lights with an app is lame.. the lights knowing if someone is in the room and turning them on/off automatically without any human intervention is when things start to get smart.. today is a fucking hot ass day; just open the windows and my furnace shuts off.. tonight when I go close all the windows, the heater will kick back on and do what its supposed to do.. heat the house, not outside.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Home Automation only is capable of shining if your willing to learn how to code; turning on/off lights with an app is lame.. the lights knowing if someone is in the room and turning them on/off automatically without any human intervention is when things start to get smart.. today is a fucking hot ass day; just open the windows and my furnace shuts off.. tonight when I go close all the windows, the heater will kick back on and do what its supposed to do.. heat the house, not outside.
I've been doing just that for about 14 years now. Long before it was cool. :)
I installed an HAI Omni Pro II, and use it with security contacts and such to control lights, furnace, fans, etc. Send notices, call my cell in the event of whatever I want it to,etc. Arm system away, open door from house to garage, garage overhead door opens.
You are pretty much limited by your imagination.