license plate capture setup

int0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello-

I would like to capture plates of cars driving by my house. I am on a major highway, so they are driving by at 60 MPH or so. Right now I have a DS-2CD2712F-I dome camera in my mailbox. This is a manual 2.8mm-12mm zoom, so I have it zoomed all the way in. Using 1/1000 shutter speed, I can capture anything during the day and usually the near lane at night. I get about half the plates at night in the far lane.

I am curious what others are using for similar scenarios? I don't think mine is even near optimal, the IR limit and dome reflection being just one major issue.

Also, the PTZ cameras all seem to have at least 10x optical zoom, where as my camera is about 4x I think. Would I be able to get one of these cameras and at least set the camera back from the mailbox and still capture plates? I am guessing I might need an separate IR for that?

Thanks!

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please post pictures day and night and how your camera is mounted please :)

BICK

int0

n3wb
Reaction score
Please post pictures day and night and how your camera is mounted please :)

BICK
I used to have a paper delivered in a plastic mailbox, I used that form factor to fabricate a metal one. I just have the camera mounted on a block of wood for the time being, as this is all still proof of concept. I can see that the 1/1000 shutter with gain of 30 is a little blurry still, so I think I will set it to 1/2000. I also think my IR isn't lighting up the far lane at all, maybe the slot in the mailbox isn't big enough and they are reflecting back. All I am trying to do with this camera is simply capture plates, I have other cameras up to capture nefarious activities.

Attached are some pictures, I had to cut some parts out including part of the plate number.

Attachments

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok

In max zoom 12mm here you need more light at fast exposure
try to reduce the zoom perhaps 6mm
this model of camera has
0.014 lux@F1.4 sensibility not very good ; with darkfighter or starlight or Full color camera , recents models you will have more quality at same exposure .

But your camera can do the job. the best angle for LPR is 30°

upload_2018-11-13_23-5-50.png

be sure to have WDR OFF during day and night , WDR can add noise on the picture not good for LPR.
The image in day is not so bad for night try to reduce the gain to 30% and add more IR if you can.
Exposure for day 1/2000 for night same things.
You have to test , test and test !

BICK

homeuser9

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello-

I would like to capture plates of cars driving by my house. I am on a major highway, so they are driving by at 60 MPH or so. Right now I have a DS-2CD2712F-I dome camera in my mailbox. This is a manual 2.8mm-12mm zoom, so I have it zoomed all the way in. Using 1/1000 shutter speed, I can capture anything during the day and usually the near lane at night. I get about half the plates at night in the far lane.

I am curious what others are using for similar scenarios? I don't think mine is even near optimal, the IR limit and dome reflection being just one major issue.

Also, the PTZ cameras all seem to have at least 10x optical zoom, where as my camera is about 4x I think. Would I be able to get one of these cameras and at least set the camera back from the mailbox and still capture plates? I am guessing I might need an separate IR for that?

Thanks!
Does the camera you're using (DS-2CD2712F-I) have PTZ features? Or is it just a manual zoom?