License plates at night

ohliuw

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having hard time capturing license plates at night on the street in front of my house. Need some advise.

During the day I have no issues - capturing is crisp and legible

I am using a q-see qtn8039b bullet, zoomed all the way through - the distance between the camera and the cars is somewhere around 20 meters (65 feet).

There are some street lights, but not close to where the camera is focused. I tried adding IR lights - first added the Raytec RL50-F-50, which did not work. I then realized that the distance is more than 50 feet (the RL50-F-50 is rated at up to 50 feet), so I bought medium range Vario I4 light. I tried all the three angles (10x10, 30x10 and 60x25), and while it does light up the whole scene, I still cant see anything on the license plates.

Help?

ohliuw

n3wb
Reaction score
Mod, can you move the thread to the LPR forum?

Just to be clear, I am not trying to do recognition; only capturing in case I need to go back and check. I guess the problems is that it's overexposed and quite noisy (I will post some samples later tonight)

Unfortunately, the web interface has pretty limited in terms of image controls. I also have a 4MP QTN8044, which I can swap with the 3mp. Is there a way to flash some 3rd party firmware that would allow me to adjust more advance settings?

Thanks.