Limb falls from tree - bye bye patio table

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hot damn, someone or many people coulda got very hurt.. that looked like it's been good and dead for a while.. you might contact an arborist and get that thing pruned correctly before you encounter even more damage.

I always look up for widow makers when I'm throwing up my tent; but never when im sitting down for a beer hah

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Boom! 12" to the left and you woulda had bigger problems, bet those windows aren't cheap.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you catch the event using the "Tripwire" feature? o_O
Based on the shadows cast by the tree moving in the wind, and the gently moving foliage on the deck, it doesn't look like high winds. Certainly not gale force....
Based on a still pic, that looks like it was dead already.... No leaves, broken far end...
tree.jpg

Glad nobody was hurt!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that had some force behind it. Glad no one was hurt

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
What's with the occasional horizontal video line glitches?

Reaction score
What's with the occasional horizontal video line glitches?
That's the I-Frame problem between the Reolink firmware and Blue Iris.

I was surprised when cutting up the limb that afternoon. It was solid everywhere except for at the crotch of the tree, where it broke off. The oak tree is QUITE large, as it's about sixty years old, and nearing the end of its natural life.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but I've seen it on other non-Reolink cams as well. Interesting.

It's not uncommon for a branch to rot at the crotch. A neighbour's tree dropped a larger branch on a friend's car during a windy game night a couple of years back. Chainsawing was required before they got to go home. Basically just buggered up their trunk and dented the roof a bit though. They did like having camera footage to show their insurance company though.

Depends a lot on the species and location but 60 yrs isn't very old for most Quercus species.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and thats what they call the widow maker. always remove limbs above any where people are going to be hanging out especially over decks and tables. Glad no one was there on the business end and I'm shocked that chair didn't break those windows it hit pretty hard

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The message of that fallen branch is ... "Get rid of the tree!" It's obviously way too close to the house and will eventually cause a lot of expensive property and personal damage. I'm not so sure that someone could survive a hit like that.

This is why I don't like trees anywhere near my house or other structures. I remove any tree that has branches that could fall and do damage. I keep a 20-25 foot buffer between my house and tree branches.

I've seen many houses where a tree is planted way too close to the house ... so close that the branches may actually be over the roof. Just the thought of that scares me.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The message of that fallen branch is ... "Get rid of the tree!" It's obviously way too close to the house and will eventually cause a lot of expensive property and personal damage. I'm not so sure that someone could survive a hit like that.

This is why I don't like trees anywhere near my house or other structures. I remove any tree that has branches that could fall and do damage. I keep a 20-25 foot buffer between my house and tree branches.

I've seen many houses where a tree is planted way too close to the house ... so close that the branches may actually be over the roof. Just the thought of that scares me.
Hate to say it but the tree couldn't be planted way to close to the house lol the house was built to close to the tree is usually how it works

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my great grandfather was killed by a limb falling on him when he tried to cut down a dead tree that had been previously struck by lightning..

I had a giant cottonwood limb that fell down and got stuck in the crotch of a tree.. weighed several hundred pounds, was couple feet arround and 20+ft long, when I went to pull it out of the tree the high end hit the ground and caused the end I just yanked on to release a bunch of stored tension.. it smacked me square in the middle of my chest like a giant swinging a baseball bat; sent me flying no less than 20ft across the yard onto my back gasping for air.. was damn lucky I didnt break any ribs let alone just get squished like a bug.

guess the point i'm making is; be carefull with dead limbs.. they can bite you in the ass before you know it.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Trees are jigsaw puzzles made of stored tension and potential energy. Tons of fun. Literally. And don't forget the damage that roots do to foundations as well.