limit decoding feature? High CPU or delayed Motion Capture

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read through a ton of forums on this, at some point CPU utilization went up for everyone from a prior release. Lots of people are working through lowering their CPU utilization and in doing so there is a strong recommendation to check limit decoding feature. I've done this, and yes CPU is down. However My Motion Captures are now delayed quite a bit, or just not capturing when they should.

#1 What does Limit Decoding do, and when should we use it?

#2 How do we optimize our systems to get them functioning as they have a month or so ago. I've ensured the iFrame on camera = Frame Rate in system, I've added 2-3 seconds buffering.

Thanks again for all your help. Can you make this a sticky too, or use a current thread as a sticky? Just seems to be most seasoned user's complaints now.

Again, thanks for having a superior product, I've used all the others.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read through a ton of forums on this, at some point CPU utilization went up for everyone from a prior release. Lots of people are working through lowering their CPU utilization and in doing so there is a strong recommendation to check limit decoding feature. I've done this, and yes CPU is down. However My Motion Captures are now delayed quite a bit, or just not capturing when they should.

#1 What does Limit Decoding do, and when should we use it?

#2 How do we optimize our systems to get them functioning as they have a month or so ago. I've ensured the iFrame on camera = Frame Rate in system, I've added 2-3 seconds buffering.

Thanks again for all your help. Can you make this a sticky too, or use a current thread as a sticky? Just seems to be most seasoned user's complaints now.

Again, thanks for having a superior product, I've used all the others.
Dont use that feature...it is not a solution to the problem, it simply masks it...the issue is the intel driver see those threads.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a i7-2600k CPU, with the Intel HD graphics 3000; seems like others have newer CPUs/Video Chipsets. Anyway; my drive is from 2016; so I don't think it's the driver.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks this article is great, I'll go through this again. Thank you. 0.0000001 bitcoins sent your way (minus transfer fee)... hmm ok you owe me money now.

So I'm now DISABLING the Limit Decoding everywhere. I have 20+ cameras, but its odd how everyone has had CPU issues without having made any changes. Again, my Video card driver has been the same since when I first used BlueIris.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you properly email support to tell him.
I've had no change to CPU usage with updates, if anything it's went down a tad.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just went through the optimization page you sent. Most i had set from the forums, but I disabled all overlays. Restarted the service and I'm way down in CPU. Thanks.

Specifically I changed these two items, which may have given me the biggest change:
Intel HD Hardware Acceleration from Yes+VideoPostProc to H.264
Limit preview rate from 30fps to 10fps

Now CPU which was 90s is 20s.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks this article is great, I'll go through this again. Thank you. 0.0000001 bitcoins sent your way (minus transfer fee)... hmm ok you owe me money now.

So I'm now DISABLING the Limit Decoding everywhere. I have 20+ cameras, but its odd how everyone has had CPU issues without having made any changes. Again, my Video card driver has been the same since when I first used BlueIris.
Not everyone...I have 20+ systems...2 are running the latest BI without issues...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just went through the optimization page you sent. Most i had set from the forums, but I disabled all overlays. Restarted the service and I'm way down in CPU. Thanks.

Specifically I changed these two items, which may have given me the biggest change:
Intel HD Hardware Acceleration from Yes+VideoPostProc to H.264
Limit preview rate from 30fps to 10fps

Now CPU which was 90s is 20s.

Thanks
you should not have been using vpp with 20 cameras as explained in the release notes for vpp..

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HAHA. Thanks, yeah the evolution of me configuring the system had more to do with reading posts and a trial and failure approach. The docs you have and the optimization link above have been very helpful.

I just recently upgraded my stock i7-2600 CPU fan to a Hyper 212+; and I'm not even overclocking it (can't with this model). Anyway, a lot of bang for you buck. I have 780MP/s and 6000kB/s; which I'm very happy with. I should just dump all my old pre 2MP cameras as their bitrates are very high.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi...I don't have the Intel GPU...got AMD...CPU was high up around 60%...I enabled the "Limit Decoding" and now CPU is like 7%....I'm doing Direct To Disk with all cams...
seems awesome...but what's the status of this feature? will it mess up my motion detection now?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Optimizing Guide it says "It is advisable to adjust your camera's i-frame interval to be equal to the frame rate if you are going to use Limit decoding unless required along with Blue Iris's motion detection"

Wonder this will help if do it with "Limit decoding ..." without lose motion detection sensitivity. Has anyone tried it if it works?
Motion detection will always suffer with limit decoding making it useless.. you will have to use the cameras motion detection

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
out of curiosity what is this feature for anyway? the Limit Decoding when required?
Advantages are less CPU usage but what about disadvantages?