Linking Cameras from Detached Garage to Main House

Eye Spy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras I am installing on the exterior of my detached garage/studio. The distance from the garage/studio to the main house is 75 feet. What are the options I have to link the cameras’ video and audio feed to the network located in the main house? I am in the process of setting up 6 cameras on the exterior of the main house. I have not decided if I want to run a 8 CH NVR or a POE switch connected to a PC running BI software. Thank you for the direction and insights.520E1891-57DA-4B1C-88B2-2D3EEC1CA7AD.jpeg

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi

First of all i feel the 8 channel NVR you mention is to small. Go for a 16 channel minimum.There is little price difference. The other option is a PC running blue iris. There is no real limits on the amount of camera's you can run providing the PC is suitable. See The wiki.

With a POE IPcamera audio,video and power is via a single cat5e/6 cable.

Wiring you have many options available and it really boils down to the specifics of your site. My order of preference below

You can run a cable from each camera back to an NVR or POE switch in the house.

You can run the cameras to a POE switch in the garage and a single cable back to an NVR or POE switch in the house.

You can also run the cameras to a POE switch in the garage and use a power line adapter.This will run the computer data network over the existing mains electrical wiring. This will again go to a switch in the house.

You can also run the cameras to a POE switch in the garage and use a wireless link (this is a link capable of coming with the volume of data generated by the cameras and is not wifi) Other members here have used something called a nano.

I'd only recommend using Wi-Fi cameras as a last resort. You will still need to power them up.

Good luck

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What I did was run the cables in trunking and then bury them.

Single or multiple runs, the trunking I had would easily accommodate 3 cables so I went with 3, reason being it give me flexibility and I sure as hell don’t want to be digging out or burying new cable in the future.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from using router wifi - it will be a disaster.

Three main options:

1. Run POE to the garage. Most reliable option.
  2. Use Ubiquity nano station to wireless transmit video feed on a dedicated "network"
  3. If there is power in the garage, use a powerline adapter to run the data over the electric lines. Best practice is to have this on the same breaker as the connection point in the house, but many have got it to work on other breakers.

Reaction score
I did one of the options, @Griswalduk did, "You can also run the cameras to a POE switch in the garage and use a power line adapter.This will run the computer data network over the existing mains electrical wiring. This will again go to a switch in the house. "

Currently running an SD22204UE and an old 5231RZ on this link, with zero issues and no lag.

Total cost was about $60 US. $38 for the powerline adapter set, and $21 for a 4-port POE+ switch that also has a 1GB uplink port. This is a very reliable set up.

Reaction score
I use CPE710 | 5GHz AC 867Mbps 23dBi Outdoor CPE | TP-Link which looks to be similar to the ubiquiti unit but costs less.

I investigated this same issue as my shop is ~300ft from my house. Burying fiber would have been the "right" way to do it, but also a pita digging, running conduit etc. A lot easier to mount these and just hook them into your network. My friend also uses these for the same use (~120ft apart) and neither of us have had issues.

I run these to a POE switch and wifi AP in my shop which allows me to have them both on the same network

I have 500mb/s service and have no problem getting that out at the shop, run multiple POE cams etc so plenty of bandwidth as well. If you have a clear line of sight imo there's nothing easier than these p2p units.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go fiber first, followed by point-to-point wireless second (not regular wifi). While you could bury copper Cat5e or Cat6, you run the risk of having a power surge or lightning strike come through and frying your network (and possibly everything connected to it).

If you have the ability to trench, schedule 40 PVC conduit is pretty cheap. If you don't, do the point to point wireless.