Live View Lag?

CameraX

n3wb
Reaction score
In the sub $150 range of IP cams what is the best you are seeing for live view lag? Two to three seconds?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm around 2 seconds if i'm viewing within the LAN. That's with HikVision turrets, OptiPlex i5-4790, Asus RT-AC68p router and an iPhone 6Plus

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's less than a second if setup properly...this is in the device the camera is streaming to..PSP is adding a hop in between...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Does VPN add to that?
No, based on your post it seems you are streaming the cameras to blue iris then to your iphone. The lag needs to be measured viewing blue iris on the desktop it is running on. It should be well under a second.

Adam W

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best way to eliminate lag with IP cameras? We are doing electrical testing that typically runs for 1 to 3 seconds and our station controller importantly needs to see a live video feed. Currently using analog cameras but would like to update them all.

Nore

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best way to eliminate lag with IP cameras? ...
Good evening. I'm not sure if this is THE best way to eliminate lag with IP cameras but try this; change the NIC Type on the camera from Auto to 100M Full-dup (or whatever is the highest full duplex you can select). I was having lags that ranged from 3 seconds all the way up to 15. Also, I changed my NIC Type on my NVR, 1000M Full-dup. This fixed it for me.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
change the NIC Type on the camera from Auto to 100M Full-dup (or whatever is the highest full duplex you can select).
That does suggest that you have a cabling problem that is causing the auto-negotiation to periodically re-try.
There is no reason for the auto-negotiation to kick in again after initial connection unless there is a signal loss.
If your switch / router has the facility, check out the error counts on the port to see if they are zero.
If not, see how much variability in response times you see with a continuous ping. Though it has to be pretty bad before it shows up that way.