Live View / Recording without nvr

intotech

n3wb
Reaction score
hello - long time reader first time thread poster (so take it easy one me)

I'm planning to order a few hikvision cameras (thanks for the endless threads on this forum for guidance on that)

My setup will be a few cameras that record to their own NAS folder (no nvr or pc nvr).

But have few questions mainly on Live View

1. Can I view the cameras on the IOS app? Even without an nvr

2. Can i also see the recordings as well? Even without an nvr

3. What is the setup involved for the app;
and is this just a matter of setting up vpn or port forwarding cameras to internet.

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. If you choose the right model of the hikvision camera you can install an sd card and can record on that without an nvr
2. for the Hikvision cams there is a software called iVMS-4500, with that you can watch the cams without an nvr but im not sure if able to watch the recordings like that. But if you login on the webpage of the camera you can watch the recorded stuff from the sd card
3.Of course you need a port forwarding for every camera you wanna watch from outside, or you setup an vpn. its up to you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2. Can i also see the recordings as well? Even without an nvr
For recordings made to the NAS NetHDD storage that you set up, the 'mini NVR' facilities within the camera web GUI will allow you to select and view recordings off the NAS.
Provided that you are able to access the camera Live View web GUI OK - implying that you may need a Windows environment to do so. I don't have any knowledge of the IOS app.

intotech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied! I think I will get an NVR with my cameras!