LKB384X 4K Active Deterrence Camera without the NVR

mvelders

n3wb
Reaction score
Back in 2018 I bought a surveillance kit from Lorex (big mistake!) with 8 of these cameras and an NVR. I didn't realize that they would lock me out of the NVR and not provide a way to backup footage to my Synology NAS. Now of course just a month or so after the warranty expired, the NVR stopped working. I thought it was the power supply and it took weeks of back and forth with them to even find me a replacement. The one they sent also does not work. I could probably fix the power supply, but what I'd rather do is plug the 8 cameras into a 16 port POE switch I bought and back everything up to the NAS. Unfortunately, it looks like it's not just the NVR that's locked down, but the cameras as well. They're not showing up on the network. So now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Back in 2018 I bought a surveillance kit from Lorex (big mistake!) with 8 of these cameras and an NVR. I didn't realize that they would lock me out of the NVR and not provide a way to backup footage to my Synology NAS. Now of course just a month or so after the warranty expired, the NVR stopped working. I thought it was the power supply and it took weeks of back and forth with them to even find me a replacement. The one they sent also does not work. I could probably fix the power supply, but what I'd rather do is plug the 8 cameras into a 16 port POE switch I bought and back everything up to the NAS. Unfortunately, it looks like it's not just the NVR that's locked down, but the cameras as well. They're not showing up on the network. So now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi @mvelders

Is this the camera? ( if so, it does not seem to be one of the Dahua OEM products that most of us know better .. )

1611353950114.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras were assigned IP addresses by the NVR - usually in the 10.0.0.x range for Lorex units. I would try that or do a reset of the cams if you can find a reset button (may have to partially disassemble).

mvelders

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking that they had a static IP assigned at the factory and I just have to figure out how to set them to my network's range. I just have to figure out how to do that reset and hope that resetting will force it to pick up a new address

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try the Dahua IPconfig tool as it may find them given they are probably Dahua cams

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's the one
Hi mvelders,

the Model looks similar to the new Swann OEM...

Looks like a RaySharp OEM camera model.

I'd see if you can find the IP addresses of the cameras and see if you can login to them and check if there is an ONVIF check box.

Perhaps the Lorex customer support can help here.

btw - the Lorex Dahua OEM products we typically can get to work with Blue Iris.

mvelders

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured it out. It seems like they all just needed to be reset by unplugging and plugging them back in, although it seems like at least one of the 8 cameras is shorted or something which may have been causing them all not to show up. I don't know, but I got 6 of the 8 cameras working. I'll continue working on getting the rest working and plan to use Synology Surveillance Station. I'm not thrilled about the license cost, but I like having one solution to monitor all my different cameras and save the footage to my NAS in my fireproof safe.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think if you can take a router and set it's ip address scheme to Lorex's 10.0.0.0 IP range, hook it to a switch, plug the cams in, and then you can get at the Camera's and change their IP's to the address scheme of your home network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang - what is the PC CPU?

Well how much is the Synology Surveillance Station going to cost?

Might be cheaper to buy a used business class PC and Blue Iris...

I strongly encourage you to look at ebay/Amazon/MicroCenter or any certified refurbish site and buy a used computer.

Many of these used computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so.

Going this route was cheaper than buying an NVR that was capable of running all the cameras at the resolutions of the cameras (my new cameras). I still run my old NVR feeding Blue Iris for those cameras.

Last edited:

mvelders

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your help. I have all my cameras on Synology now and also configured them in iSpy just in case I want to use that later. That seems to use less resources than Blue Iris.

I was wondering now, how can I view the cameras on a TV? I've been searching for different options, but the best I've found so far is the Synology VisualStation VS360HD. That's $500+ at the cheapest I can find. I'm sure there has to be a more creative option. I'd like to quickly be able to switch inputs on the living room and more importantly bedroom TV and immediately see what's going on outside.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
'Smart' TV? some newer units can pull streams from the cameras directly. or support some app that can do so...

mvelders

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm... I am in the market for new, 4k TVs in the next year or so. Do you have any specific examples? The TV in the bedroom has a Chromecast plugged in and I thought about just casting to that from my phone, but that takes more time and fiddling with my phone to get it working, and I was hoping to get a solution that would allow just switching inputs on the TV and seeing the streams there without much delay.