Local network "fall out" several times a day

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using ASUS RT-AC68U with asuswert-merlin it gives me a lot of trouble (and irritation) when the network didn't work for a couple of seconds. The local network is remote and I am using VPN to contact it. Therefore even a short "fall out" cut the connection.

I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that ASUS often have such a failure.

Seeking suggestions or confirmation.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Odd, that model Asus router isn't their newest or highest performance router, but it is known as an ultra reliable, workhorse that has few problems.
Many times people have better luck after doing a full factory reset then reconfiguring from there manually (do not simply restore a backup .cfg file). Yes, do save and restore the ovpn certificates and related cfg files, just not the main full backup.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My problem with internet fall out has existed a couple of years and I have done reset on the asus router two times this year with no change. For the record, DNS is disabled. I have read a lot about this case and have tried "everything". In the past I seemed to lose internet at the same time every day, but lately I don't see such a pattern. The logs do not show anything about the internet has been lost or reopened.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It could still be your internet connection: is this a cable company ISP? I suffered for years with brief drops, ultimately due to poor signal strength (bad drop from the pole, etc..). I moved to fiber 3.5 years ago when it became available in my neighborhood, and highly recommended it, very stable and fast.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It could still be your internet connection: is this a cable company ISP? I suffered for years with brief drops, ultimately due to poor signal strength (bad drop from the pole, etc..). I moved to fiber 3.5 years ago when it became available in my neighborhood, and highly recommended it, very stable and fast.
Yep, most likely it's a problem with your internet provider, not the router.
Thanks, I agree. I use wireless from the ISP and have changed to new router from them (as bridge), but no luck. It can be the wireless signals from the sender.