Logging into webserver to view cameras instantly maxes out dual xeon cpus

banman24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Ipcamtalk newbie here! I am looking for some insight into this issue I have been having. Recently our blueiris server started having some really weird and frustrating issues, about 4 weeks ago we started having this issue where the server would run at ~60% cpu usage for 2-3 days while logged into the webserver ui viewing the live camera feeds. Then suddenly and out of no where the server would max out at 100%. Restarting blue iris would solve the issue for another few days and then it would repeat again. Keep in mind this blue iris server is used for viewing live camera feeds by security guards, this is why we want to use the webserver as the guards shouldn't be directly in the server. Around 2 weeks ago the issue got way worse, upon logging into the webserver the server instantly goes to 100% usage. And as soon as you log out the server drops back to normal usage. Because of this I have had to use RDP to the server and view the cameras on the console. Again I do not like this because the guards have full access to the server, and the viewing quality is way worse than the webserver is. I have made several tweaks to get the cpu usage as low as possible and currently we are at 6% while viewing the cameras through rdp.

Server specs: dual xeon E5-2650 v2's
Ram- 128gb
Windows 10 pro
36 reolink 5mp cameras. All set to 15fps or lower.
Direct to disk, no motion or triggers just 24/7 recording

I'm at a loss on why this happening, has anyone experienced something similar? I have reached out to blue iris support but they are very slow to respond.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did the jump in CPU utilization correspond to a Windows update. Microsoft has done a crap job lately in there updates.

There has been driver problems, as you CPU does not have graphic acceleration this is not the problem.
Looking at the task manager does bi use both CPUs.

What version of bi are you using?
How many web ui3 connections are you running?
How many separate cameras videos are running? For example 5 web connection with 10 cameras displayed would be 50 camera videos.

Maybe @bp2008 can step in and comment on the UI3 web interface.

banman24

n3wb
Reaction score
The last blue iris update seems to have fixed the issue, I am now at 10-14% which i am very happy about.

There is only 1 connection to the ui3 with the 36 cameras being displayed.
when viewing on only the console cpu usage is around 6-7% so i am happy with the results i am getting now :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The last blue iris update seems to have fixed the issue, I am now at 10-14% which i am very happy about.

There is only 1 connection to the ui3 with the 36 cameras being displayed.
when viewing on only the console cpu usage is around 6-7% so i am happy with the results i am getting now :)
The only way you are accomplishing this is using limit decoding, see the downsides to this in the wiki.
When you using limit decoding, logging in to the webserver instantly starts decoding the all camera stream which maxes your cpu, unless you specficially set BI not to.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, a recent BI update changed how group camera streams (for the mobile apps and UI3) are created so that higher frame rates can be achieved at the cost of higher CPU usage.

So people need to be a little more careful than before about what FPS they have set in here, because higher values can cause remote viewing to be more CPU-intensive than before:

(on my system, I found 15 FPS to be too high, and set it to around 8 FPS)