Long cable run, issues with connectivity

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a three-camera install with one camera about 250-300' away from the POE switch. The long-distance camera has been working sufficiently for a few months, but every now and then the feed gets a little choppy. Over the weekend it just dropped off the network. It jumped back on early today, but then fell off again. I think I'm pushing the limits of the cable+hardware. Can someone chime in on what changes I could make to make this long run more robust? Here are the system details:

POE switch: Netgear GS108PEv3
Cable: CAT5e (gel-filled)
Cameras: Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z x 3

Thank you

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
300' is near maximum limit for poe. I think you have 2 options, add a poe switch at half or replace cameras with epoe model. Ciao

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
300' is near maximum limit for poe. I think you have 2 options, add a poe switch at half or replace cameras with epoe model. Ciao

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk
I'm new to ePOE... is it sufficient to use an ePOE camera and ePOE switch with Blue Iris as the "brain" of the system? Or, do I need to have an ePOE NVR as well?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a three-camera install with one camera about 250-300' away from the POE switch. The long-distance camera has been working sufficiently for a few months, but every now and then the feed gets a little choppy. Over the weekend it just dropped off the network. It jumped back on early today, but then fell off again. I think I'm pushing the limits of the cable+hardware. Can someone chime in on what changes I could make to make this long run more robust? Here are the system details:

POE switch: Netgear GS108PEv3
Cable: CAT5e (gel-filled)
Cameras: Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z x 3

Thank you
Using quality cable you should have no issues at 300f. The spec limit is 328 and it can go further than that. What brand is the gel filled cable? is it copper or CCA/copper clad aluminium. Did you use the 568b standard to wire the ends?

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know, thank you. Yes I used 568b. I'll check the manufacturer of the cable.

EDIT: The cable is Dripstone (Amazon-sourced) 24AWG pure copper.

Last edited: