Long distance camera install

sherrellb

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for a lil help.... I am wanting to install a security camera system at my house and at the road where my drive way takes off. The road is approx 1500-1600’ from my house there is no 110v power supply at the road is there any option that you can use wireless system to reach a camera at that distance or what would be my best option..... Nebbie here .... thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JImCan

n3wb
Reaction score
s—b, As an 'I can do it' type in similar physical circumstances, I can tell you. A) Wireless - very not likely unless you have an engineer friend at the NSA. B) Call for a local professional quote. C) Be prepared for a long slog if you attempt it yourself.

Jim

Reaction score
idk if this might be an option, but I had an adjoining lot in the city once and the electric and gas both said they could come out and put a separate meter on the lot, if I was willing to pay for it, for a heated pool because the alternative was to run more than 200 feet of cable and gas lines underground from the main house.

Considering you are looking at a 1600' trenching operation and crapton of electric cable, conduit and direct bury network cable at a minimum, I might ask them if they can install a pole and meter at that end of your driveway as it would open up options using a wireless link. The cost might be prohibitive either way of doing it, but I doubt you would regret having power at that end of the driveway over the long haul as it would open up options for all kinds of lighting and peripherals at the end of the driveway.

sherrellb

n3wb
Reaction score
idk if this might be an option, but I had an adjoining lot in the city once and the electric and gas both said they could come out and put a separate meter on the lot, if I was willing to pay for it, for a heated pool because the alternative was to run more than 200 feet of cable and gas lines underground from the main house.

Considering you are looking at a 1600' trenching operation and crapton of electric cable, conduit and direct bury network cable at a minimum, I might ask them if they can install a pole and meter at that end of your driveway as it would open up options using a wireless link. The cost might be prohibitive either way of doing it, but I doubt you would regret having power at that end of the driveway over the long haul as it would open up options for all kinds of lighting and peripherals at the end of the driveway.
Great idea thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was a much shorter distance, then I'd say to bury a conduit full of cat5e cables, but in this case I definitely agree with @crw030. See what it would cost to get electric power installed at that location (keeping in mind it would also mean an increased monthly bill).

If that does not work, then you could learn about solar + battery systems and build something out there with a nice 100-200w panel and a deep cycle battery and charge controller. You can power both a camera and an Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco directly off a 12v battery without the need for an AC power inverter. You see things like this all over construction projects or for road/highway monitoring.