Long Holiday - Retaining Key Footage NVR4116HS-4KS2

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We're going on a long holiday... too long to retain all footage at a useful quality, so I started looking at ways to retain key "action" events. Using the NVR interface, I turned off Continuous recording and set it to Motion Detect instead. Again, using the NVR, I set up motion zones on my cameras. These were proven as I started receiving emails for one which I set to test the arrangement. However as far as the footage: no recording... just the motion icon on the split view. I set some Tripwires (including in the Schedule) but nothing changed as far as recording. Nada.

Re- enabling Continuous restored recording. Motion Detect areas now highlighted in the Search screen, but not Tripwires.

So my first set of questions are... am I on the wrong track with this? Do I need to set up Motion Detect and Tripwire in the cameras themselves? Does this compromise general viewing, or does the video stream remain unchanged and it then just "triggers" the NVR?

My second query is... what other potential methods exist to retain "action" portions of surveillance on this combination of equipment, being NVR4116HS-4KS2, IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE.

Note I can not justify the >25TB which would otherwise be required, plus my little NVR couldn't handle it anyway. However other general surveillance concepts are welcome.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I forgot to close the loop on this one. I restarted the NVR for other reasons, and the Motion Detect started working. I don't know if it was an irregular glitch or if a number of key settings will always require a reboot to activate. I guess I will find out over time...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious if you ever use the web interface to the NVR? I dont think Ive used the actual console interface since setting up the initial 1st day install.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on how you set things up, you should be able to set a static internal IP on the NVR, say 192.168.1.x and open a web browser on a computer on your network and access the NVR web interface...same controls, better interface in many ways.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no problem doing it, even with my surveillance gear on an entirely separate LAN. I only use fixed IPs for fixed equipment.

I simply never compared the interfaces, and assumed that direct would be superior. I appreciate the tip.