Lookin for a BABY Camera.

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use the Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW with Blue Iris but have not setup audio on it yet so cannot confirm it works with audio. My kids are older and share a bedroom so its more about seeing if they get up way to early in the morning to come downstairs vs sleeping until its the right time to get up. Check it out

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-K35S has Wi-Fi. The review and video posted by @looney2ns above is a positive one.

I have no personal experience with the K35A or K35S but have installed several Amcrest (re-branded Dahua) indoor models with great results: the IP2M-841 is 1080p, ONVIF, wired or wireless, 2-way audio with mike in/speaker out jacks, Blue Iris compatible, has SD card slot, PT and digital zoom. Available in white, black or silver, wall or ceiling mount or desktop.

I have had such for 6 months on BI without a hiccup. I have also installed 4 of it's lower res cousins, the 720p IPM-721 in 2 businesses + 1 in my living room on the piano over 3 years ago, all running without a hitch. It has similar specs as the 841 but is 720p.

Amcrest offers a 3MP version, the IP3M-941B, but I have no personal experience with it.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note: If you are interested in the Amcrest indoor PT(no Z) series of cameras, watch for a deal on the coming Amazon Prime Day(s) July 15-16, 2019

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-K35S has Wi-Fi. The review and video posted by @looney2ns above is a positive one.

I have no personal experience with the K35A or K35S but have installed several Amcrest (re-branded Dahua) indoor models with great results: the IP2M-841 is 1080p, ONVIF, wired or wireless, 2-way audio with mike in/speaker out jacks, Blue Iris compatible, has SD card slot, PT and digital zoom. Available in white, black or silver, wall or ceiling mount or desktop.

I have had such for 6 months on BI without a hiccup. I have also installed 4 of it's lower res cousins, the 720p IPM-721 in 2 businesses + 1 in my living room on the piano over 3 years ago, all running without a hitch. It has similar specs as the 841 but is 720p.

Amcrest offers a 3MP version, the IP3M-941B, but I have no personal experience with it.
I also just brought home the Amcrest 1080p version and can confirm the 2 way audio is working with BI v5. The 2 way audio is a little finicky but I think the most reliable way is to first click the microphone icon and then the speaker icon within the iPhone app. Honestly, I am not even sure who often I will even use the 2 way audio anyhow...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I am not even sure who often I will even use the 2 way audio anyhow...
Same here...I'll hear the dogs barking in the sunroom to alert me to an intruder (squirrel, deer, fox, 'coon or a sketchy plastic bag) but I doubt I'll ever speak to them...unless I REALLY want to freak them out. :lol:

Carnation

n3wb
Reaction score
I too am looking for a baby monitor but I find the product description for blue iris to be sorely lacking. All I'm looking for is a camera capable of audio/motion detection that supports local storage of footage but is accessible remotely via my phone. If blue iris requires my PC to be on at all times for such features to be available then that's a major negative. What operating systems is it even compatible with?

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I too am looking for a baby monitor but I find the product description for blue iris to be sorely lacking. All I'm looking for is a camera capable of audio/motion detection that supports local storage of footage but is accessible remotely via my phone. If blue iris requires my PC to be on at all times for such features to be available then that's a major negative. What operating systems is it even compatible with?
If I am reading between the lines correctly, this would be your first security camera? If so, you really should just consider a stand alone baby monitor... unless you are actually planning on adding a bunch of cameras in the near future. It wouldn’t be worth the effort to setup any nvr/BI just for a single baby monitor, in my opinion.

Of course blue iris would be required to be on a running computer. Any nvr system you bought would also be powered on when it’s recording.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I too am looking for a baby monitor but I find the product description for blue iris to be sorely lacking.
Then you must have not been here: Blue Iris Software

All I'm looking for is a camera capable of audio/motion detection that supports local storage of footage but is accessible remotely via my phone. If blue iris requires my PC to be on at all times for such features to be available then that's a major negative. What operating systems is it even compatible with?
  • The OP likely already has Blue Iris for several cams around his house and like many, is satisfied with it's price-to-performance ratio and cannot see the sense in installing a baby monitor that is NOT compatible with Blue Iris....smart move, IMO.
  • Many baby monitors are strictly P2P and use the cloud (likely off-shore) and many are NOT Blue Iris compatible.​
  • Blue Iris is for Windows O/S.​

Carnation

n3wb
Reaction score
this would be your first security camera?
Correct, but a dedicated baby monitor I've concluded is NOT a viable option. Unless someone here would be able to suggest one that wasn't battery powered, had decent quality video, was able to connect over wifi, allowed for local recording and did not force feed me a subscription service then that particular approach looks dead to me. A big bonus would be for the camera to have an alert button my children could push if they really wanted my attention but really all I'm looking for is a camera with decent enough video that I'll be able to use for a decade or more.

Of course blue iris would be required to be on a running computer
Sure but what I was wondering was what type of computer, if it could be run on an NVR, a linux box etc. The above link OP posted gives zero information on system requirements and sure the home page for the software is easy to find via the alphabet botnet but it seems a massive oversight not to even link it from the product page.

I might still give it a try but my main desktop is not connected to the home network and if I were to use it to run blue iris then I need to rethink some of the connectivity and security decisions I've made.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cams I mentioned in post #4:
  • is viewable on a PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone (iOS or Androis) via your LAN on it's browser.
  • Does not require Blue Iris but it is an option.
  • is wired or wireless.
  • has P2P ability if desired (not recommended).
  • Can record motion on an SD card which can be viewed on cam's webGUI.