Looking at a Vari-focal hikvision

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thinking of doing a upgrade on one of my older outside foscam camera's. I am not sure if I should get a bullet design or dome style? Looking for pro and cons of each style. Right now I keep the sun to the back of all my camera's . Is one type better for facing into sun? Side note I have the DS-2CD2032 .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bullets are easier to mount and aim. Domes are more vandal resistant, but may be more susceptible to ir reflection. Domes look cleaner on a home install.
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9130
That is what I recommend. There is a version with audio that requires your own mic and speaker. Non-audio version is available at Costco (as a swann), the others are available through both Nellys and Wrightwood. I have mounted one for a client, looks good. It is big, much bigger than the photo suggests. See the comprehensive review here. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1968

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself @fenderman! @born2ride, are you mounting on a ceiling or a wall? Keep in mind that if you are mounting on a vertical surface with a 2-axis dome you should grab a wall mount to enable the camera to be mounted horizontally.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That article was good! Thinking of mounting under eves of house. I do not need audio. How much is the swan at Costco ? The swans is same as hikvision?

dalepa

Reaction score
Not sure which is better for sun facing...

I really like my VF Hik DS-2CD2632F-I at 2.8mm, however it's much larger than the ds-2cd2032, but it takes the guessing out of the X.Xmm guessing game...

The mindome ds-2cd2532f-i looks like a pretty nice small 3-axis solution that's on my to try list...

Thinking of doing a upgrade on one of my older outside foscam camera's. I am not sure if I should get a bullet design or dome style? Looking for pro and cons of each style. Right now I keep the sun to the back of all my camera's . Is one type better for facing into sun? Side note I have the DS-2CD2032 .

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fixed focal length cameras have a slightly sharper image, but varifocals are like a manual zoom, great for a beginner that is not sure of what they want or what they need. The biggest mistake I see people do is expect to cover the widest area possible without regard to pixel density. So they go for the 2.8mm lens, get a 100 degree viewing angle but then complain when they can't ID someone 20' away with a 3MP camera. So if this is your first higher end camera, pay a little more, get the ds-2cd2632 bullet and spend some time adjusting the lens, seeing what works for you, what doesn't. This takes time to figure out and understand the compromises. I say get the bullet because it's way easier to install, focus & aim. Domes can get tricky, you have to take them apart to mount, to aim, to focus, heck, almost impossible to focus the ds-2cd2732f without moving the lens out of the way to focus, but when you do that you can't easily focus, so I would avoid a dome as your first good camera. Also domes have annoying reflections from the sun, from shiny objects. IR light bleed can also happen with any dome if not set right when putting the dome cover on.

When you figure out what's best for one location, get a less expensive fixed focal lens camera, move this bullet to another location, makes a great test camera. As much as domes look better, out of 9 cameras at my house I have 3 domes, one inside, one in garage and one at my front door.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What the heck, so costco has the camera for 250 when nelly's wants 300? Well I guess I wasted $50, can it take the same exact firmware the hikvision branded camera takes? Damn, I just ordered a 2032, but for $70 more I might go for more verifocals.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes but the swans do not have the option to add audio....you would need your own mic and speaker though....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm okay with that, I think in a situation where I need audio I would use something else, the one I bought that is hikvision brand isn't an (S) either so if you want audio you'd be ordering it from China, I got mine from nelly's who is slow as shit by the way. I ordered a 2032 on Friday from them and I bought something with amazon prime on sunday afternoon, I got an email this morning that my amazon item has shipped, I emailed nelly customer service asking if my item from them is shipping today.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was banned from cam-it forum, so they banned my daughter also who owns Wrightwood even though she was never a member of that forum. If you want funny, go to Hikvision's site, both Wrightwood and Nelly's as well as anyone else caught selling Hikvision cameras are consider unauthorized because Hikvision does not allow their cameras so be resold at all.

Nice, I thought I heard bad stuff about them, aren't peopel banned from speaking their name over on cam-it?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was banned from cam-it forum, so they banned my daughter also who owns Wrightwood even though she was never a member of that forum. If you want funny, go to Hikvision's site, both Wrightwood and Nelly's as well as anyone else caught selling Hikvision cameras are consider unauthorized because Hikvision does not allow their cameras so be resold at all.

Your daughter runs wrightwood? That's pretty awesome, no wonder you can be the network camera critic heh heh. So wait, if they don't let anyone re-sell how do they sell their cameras? I don't see a way to buy them on their site?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikivision USA only allows their cameras to be sold to installers/integrators through wholesale distributors like Tri-Ed or ADI Global, not resellers. She tried just buying them as an integrator to resell, but was asked not to by Hikvision USA.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikivision USA only allows their cameras to be sold to installers/integrators through wholesale distributors like Tri-Ed or ADI Global, not resellers. She tried just buying them as an integrator to resell, but was asked not to by Hikvision USA.
So how is she selling them? She just does it anyway? Is it really 2 day shipping? I may make my next order from her.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
She gets them direct from a distributor in China, so bypasses the U.S. office and their rules. Yes, she ships everything in her inventory USPS priority 1-3 days depending on location, but from Chicago, it's very rare it's 3 days. If it's a camera that is dropped shipped from a manufacturer, like ACTi, then it's shipped best way from them, usually UPS or FedEx ground.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
She gets them direct from a distributor in China, so bypasses the U.S. office and their rules. Yes, she ships everything in her inventory USPS priority 1-3 days depending on location, but from Chicago, it's very rare it's 3 days. If it's a camera that is dropped shipped from a manufacturer, like ACTi, then it's shipped best way from them, usually UPS or FedEx ground.
I like that, I didn't think there was any way to get anything other than 4mm without waiting a month. I will keep her in mind for my next buy, her prices are about the same as everyone else but she seems to have much better variety, carrying all of the options not just the most popular ones.