looking at route for camera system w/some automation

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have an array of cameras and a couple of dvrs: samsung, no name and several cameras. I came across a 16 channel samsung with 8 cameras, but they are not my usual push to connect. They are networking cables. Before I start mounting the cams, is the networking cable mean it is fairly new? Am I going to lose any quality with longer or coupled wires. I currently have 4 channel 4 cam push to connect and an Arlo wireless camera. Arlo is supposed to be night vision but it's not very good. Well it's not good when I really need to be.
And I just bought a fire stick and it came with the automation box, like Siri--Sorry can't think of the name. "She" is supposed to do some automation.
Also, I have a PT cam working with CMS but not recording. Anyway, I I would like to combine a few things and buy one more really good low budget, but not cheap camera and work my garage door -away from home if I accidentally leave it open or need to let someone in the house possibly. (new house-have not moved in). I will more than likely post mt questions separately , later in hopefully the correct spot but feel free to offer suggestions. You guys are great!! My name is Michelle; I do not work any more due to a motorcycle wreck -I lost my left leg below knee in 2014. My passion has always been "nut and bolt" type things> I am mechanicaly minded; always looking to fix, tweak, upgrade, improve, re-purpose anything. Since my accident, I went a little deeper and am always looking for a better prosthetic leg design. I also enjoy listening to scanner. It's better than soap operas. I am not a HAMM operator, although I would like to be. I do have a very nice scanner that is digital and decodes APCO-25 signal.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have an array of cameras and a couple of dvrs: samsung, no name and several cameras. I came across a 16 channel samsung with 8 cameras, but they are not my usual push to connect. They are networking cables. Before I start mounting the cams, is the networking cable mean it is fairly new? Am I going to lose any quality with longer or coupled wires. I currently have 4 channel 4 cam push to connect and an Arlo wireless camera. Arlo is supposed to be night vision but it's not very good. Well it's not good when I really need to be.
And I just bought a fire stick and it came with the automation box, like Siri--Sorry can't think of the name. "She" is supposed to do some automation.
Also, I have a PT cam working with CMS but not recording. Anyway, I I would like to combine a few things and buy one more really good low budget, but not cheap camera and work my garage door -away from home if I accidentally leave it open or need to let someone in the house possibly. (new house-have not moved in). I will more than likely post mt questions separately , later in hopefully the correct spot but feel free to offer suggestions. You guys are great!! My name is Michelle; I do not work any more due to a motorcycle wreck -I lost my left leg below knee in 2014. My passion has always been "nut and bolt" type things> I am mechanicaly minded; always looking to fix, tweak, upgrade, improve, re-purpose anything. Since my accident, I went a little deeper and am always looking for a better prosthetic leg design. I also enjoy listening to scanner. It's better than soap operas. I am not a HAMM operator, although I would like to be. I do have a very nice scanner that is digital and decodes APCO-25 signal.
Welcome Michelle,

I came here because of my great disappointment with the Arlo / Arlo Pro system.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

We've got a great community here helping each other learn more about IP cameras, and if you're willing to take some time there's a lot of great info here.

As It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.