Looking for a cheap indoor cam with built-in NVR-like capabilities (samba share/NFS)

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap indoor Wi-Fi ip camera with abilities to use samba share/NFS (I don't have a dedicated NAS server, but I have an expensive router with a very simple built-in NAS server and offers the same performance as the expensive standalone NAS units).

I'm looking for something similar to the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F which I've had outstanding results with, but something for half the price. This will be used in a non-critical area. It will be somewhere in my living room pointed at a patio door. Good IR performance isn't very important for me in this case. Audio is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Looking for a cheap indoor cam with built-in NVR-like capabilities (samba share/N

Yes I too am looking for the same thing. I tried the top201 but no go on the recording. Please update post if you find something.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Looking for a cheap indoor cam with built-in NVR-like capabilities (samba share/N

What is your definition of "cheap?" Rephrased: what is your budget for this camear?

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Around 70 a piece. I found some older Trendnet and TP-link ip cameras with this feature but it looks like there aren't any reliable ones at that price range. The 2CD2432FF looks like my best option.Oh well, will just have to $ave dat money.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Better to burn your $70.00 then subject yourself to that pain. There are some Hikvision cameras which may meet your wifi requirements...but not for $70.00. Maybe someone will chime in with the hik model numbers which I don't know.

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Yes I too am looking for the same thing. I tried the top201 but no go on the recording. Please update post if you find something.
@ themow

Check out this $33 model from TP-Link http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SC3.../dp/B00AWRKMB8

It's older and has underwhelming specs, with no IR but it supports SMB/CIFS networking. If you end up trying it, please review it on here. Keep in mind the Amazon reviews are mostly for the wireless version of that model, so reports of dropping connections is to be expected. People often live with poor/congested wifi networks, or the wifi chipset and/or antenna that's really poorly implemented. I've seen cheap wireless IP cameras that work better with the external antenna *removed*.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Smells like a definite fake, no logo, not even a single buyer feedback. I wouldn't risk the trouble for whatever $60-70 you might be saving, even though I hear AliExpress has good buyer protection.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, of course it's a fake, but is it a good fake?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What about the Dahua HFW4300S? $82 for a pretty decent 3MP bullet!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.