Looking for a decent WIDE angle camera

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a wide angle (2.8mm) Hikvision camera on my garage that acts mostly as an overview (I have much tighter zoomed cams for anything detail oriented). I put this camera on my bedside monitor so I can see whats out there if something makes a noise at night.

I previously, and briefly, used a terrible Acti E77 camera there which had a 101 degree horizontal FOV.

I replaced it with a Hikvision 2.8mm camera a few months later. The horizontal field of view for 4:3 aspect ratio is only 86 degrees.

Anyway I want to replace this camera with one that can see all the way to the fence on the left side (neither of these cameras do / did) and a little extra vertical FOV wouldn't hurt either. Anything in the ballpark of 130-160 degree horizontal FOV would be okay. 180 degrees would be fine, even, if there is nothing better.

Unfortunately, I have never seen such a camera from a respectable brand like Hikvision or Dahua that wasn't also ridiculously expensive for a single camera. Does anyone know of one I may have missed? I want to keep it under a maximum of $400. Under $200 would be okay too. This area has craploads of infrared bathing it so it doesn't really matter if it isn't very sensitive for night vision.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
all the fisheye's that are IR sensitive are big sensor ones from Dahua, so yeah expensive by default.

too bad that 180 degree outdoor multi-sensor camera is so expensive, you got a perfect spot for it.

perhaps two 90 degree cameras and a custom page to display them side by side? I like the starlight turret for an overview camera with its 100 degree wide FOV but you wont get much more than a few degrees wider than that before your into fisheye cams.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that may be what I end up doing. A second camera to line up with this one. My bedside monitor is just a full screen webpage with javascript refreshing some jpegs so it would be trivial to position another view in the right spot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not like you dont have room for a couple more cameras on that garage ;)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hahaha. yup. Or on the front of the house. A multi-sensor 180 degree cam there would be really slick.

But don't you think I have enough cameras already?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
keep stacking thermal cameras til you have a 180 degree FOV :p

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
13 hidden cameras. Just in case someone tapes over the 137 obvious ones?