Looking for a LPR camera

Marko

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on license plate reading cameras. I would currently need to monitor two lanes of traffic (one lane in each direction) with speeds up to 100km/h (~60 mph). Due to poor bandwidth on the location I would need license plate reading to be done on the camera and only stream text. Saving images should also be possible for the future.

Our company currently uses Axis cameras for other purposes, which can also run 3rd party software that reads license plates, if we wanted to go that way. From what I read online, I would also need to change the lens and perhaps add illuminators. I am also wondering how this solution compares to a purpose built camera hardware-wise.

Please share any suggestion you might have on which direction to take and which manufacturer to choose.

Thank you in advance.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll be interested to find out the answer- all the LPR experience I've seen in this forum is by people using OpenALPR running on separate hardware from the camera. I believe in-camera recognition is significantly more expensive. Also, working at 60 mph requires a very nearly on-axis camera view; at an angle from the side would give you too much motion blur in most cases.

By the way, there's a completely standalone battery-operated camera (not ALPR, and only takes stills.) Claims good to 50 mph. "Compatible with cellular upgrade" suggesting you maybe could retrieve the stills remotely.
https://www.amazon.com/Reconyx-SM750-HyperFire-License-Capture/dp/B004FFAYDO

I don't know what your experience with ALPR is, but "only stream text" without even a thumbnail image of the plate, implies you rely on the ALPR algorithm to be 100% accurate. That is not my experience.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.