Looking for a new Secuiry setup.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All!

I am looking for a security setup and im pretty set on Dahua seems to be a good camera.

I am looking more towards the 4mp side want at least 30fps record time.

I would also like a camera that is a good performer at night as well.

With the software i want something that is feature rich (tracking, good on mobile, etc.)

Is there certain cameras you guys can recommend. Reading thru the threads
seems like @nayr knows his stuff on Dahau

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screw 4MP, go for the 2MP Starlights..

More FPS does not mean more quality; just means more storage requirements.. I run mine at 15-20FPS just fine, I could run less but Ive got ample storage

Look at BlueIris if you want good software

Last edited:

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you think those 2mp have better low light? my big thing is with out a LPR camera to try to capture a plate if possible.

Do you h ave a link to those 2mp starlights. Bullet would be best right ( maybe thats the only way they come)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know they are better, I compared them.. the 4MP sucked nuts

start here: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

they also have bullets, but LPR reading at night requires a dedicated camera that is blind to anything not headlamps.. that you can do w/4MP

I suggest you start off with your perimeter security first and then worry about a dedicated LPR camera later

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those do look great. I know the 4-5mp would look better during the day but would suffer at night. I think the bullet version would service best in the angles at my house.

Also does Dahua have a nice fish eye for the front doors that are in closed

also is this the one you are referring to as the same camera but bullet.

IPC-HFW8231E-Z | Dahua Technology

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, this is the bulet: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

4-5MP wont look better in the day, its about photon gathering.. my 2MP's still give more detail than 4MP in the day; your another victim of the MegaPIxel facade.

Fisheye are horrible outside, even near a front door you dont want anything wider than 4mm..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im planing on buying one of those very cameras; but they do have a cheaper model for $350 if that interests you...

if your buying dahua cameras and want a hardware NVR, then buy a Dahua NVR.. 5216-4KS2.. or consider BlueIris on a dedicated Win10 PC

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im planing on buying one of those very cameras; but they do have a cheaper model for $350 if that interests you...

if your buying dahua cameras and want a hardware NVR, then buy a Dahua NVR.. 5216-4KS2.. or consider BlueIris on a dedicated Win10 PC

Since im a n3wb am i not able to purchase just a normal DVR and run Blueiris software on it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a normal DVR/NVR is not capable of running BlueIris, thats PC Software... a hardware NVR is a embedded linux device, most suggest buying a refurbished dell business workstation and turning it into a dedicated PC-NVR

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of good PC's laying around. I guess the more powerful a PC is the better it can handle the data and give you a better stream? I should look to see what the minimuk requirements are for the PC Blueiris more feature rich? i am sure can handle LPR in the future and should have no problems with PTZ

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need a modern CPU with IntelQuickSync so you can offload the HD video processing to the GFX system.. if done right it'll just sip on electricity and pay for its self that way.

repurposing an older PC usually results in a highly loaded, and poorly performing space heater running 24/7/365

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also what do you use for hard drives? Western Digital Cavier Reds a good choice?

Also recommendation or a PCI card for the video cameras that i should get one, better then the other.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WD Purple, no video card... you need the onboard intel.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The capture card or whatever the cameras will hook into

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Scratch that last question I forgot it's all network I was thinking the old co axle cables

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

or win 8.1 because having an OS on your NVR machine that likes to update on it's own could kind of suck. :)