Looking for a UHD PoE NVR

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Newbie looking for a recommended PoE NVR to use with my Mac and I'm struggling to decode some of the manufacturers' sales spiel. I'm viewing output from 4MP and 5MP cams on a 27in 5K iMac which has a greater resolution than the cams and I want to be able to view the cameras' native UHD output rather than a scaled down 1920x1080 image. Trouble is, a couple I've looked at which claim UHD live view and playback don't actually deliver that resolution to a standard PC and would need the cameras to be connected directly to a 4K TV to see the full image - which kinda defeats the purpose of buying an NVR. So which NVRs can deliver UHD to my PC via ethernet? I know the bit about throwing my kit away and getting Blue Iris instead but that's not an option for me.TIA

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Newbie looking for a recommended PoE NVR to use with my Mac and I'm struggling to decode some of the manufacturers' sales spiel. I'm viewing output from 4MP and 5MP cams on a 27in 5K iMac which has a greater resolution than the cams and I want to be able to view the cameras' native UHD output rather than a scaled down 1920x1080 image. Trouble is, a couple I've looked at which claim UHD live view and playback don't actually deliver that resolution to a standard PC and would need the cameras to be connected directly to a 4K TV to see the full image - which kinda defeats the purpose of buying an NVR. So which NVRs can deliver UHD to my PC via ethernet? I know the bit about throwing my kit away and getting Blue Iris instead but that's not an option for me.TIA
Hi @ipOsX

The NVR should be able to send the encoded H.264/265 stream to your PC / MAC which would then decode the stream to display.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking at the wrong NVRs then because so far I have only seen ones with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 - in which case there doesn't seem much point connecting cams with higher resolution to them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking at the wrong NVRs then because so far I have only seen ones with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 - in which case there doesn't seem much point connecting cams with higher resolution to them.
Hi ipOsX

What cameras do you have?

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They will be Hikvision 4 and 5MP turrets and bullets.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They will be Hikvision 4 and 5MP turrets and bullets.
I would then look for the most capable Hikvision NVR that can handle 16x 8MP cameras as well as display at 4K.
( I do not know the Hikvision models well, so you probably want to see what others will suggest on the model numbers )

If you are using a PoE switch you can try out the Hikvison OEM VMS software on a decent PC and see how well that works.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that's doubtless what I will end up doing.