Looking for an 8MP Dahua Varifocal, which model? Have the recommended IPCAMTALK low light stuff already

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in the process of building my system and I have followed the ipcamtalk recommendations of a Dahua 2MP Varifocal starlight to start, followed by two Dahua (Loryta) 5442 , added another 2 MP Starlight recently. I am only recording with one of the 5442's 3.6MM at the moment but working on placement and wiring of the others.

I can see an 8MP would be useful for daylight high resolution work and the ability to zoom in with more detail. With a budget of about $200, which camera do I want? The use is daylight face and some LPR work. LPR is not the intended use, just supplemental. My current 5442 at 3.6MM does a pretty good job with LPR to 50 ft daylight so I am not wanting to focus on LPR. The primary distance would be short range up to 75 feet.

A Turret or Bullet Cam would be acceptable. I am looking for recommendations and would consider the 4MP if the forum thinks that is the way to go. Hikvision is also on the table, all four current cams are from Andy and running Blue Iris. Thank you for any comments.

Rob

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite 4K cams were the IPC-HFW1831E but they are discontinued and out of stock mostly, replaced by IPC-T2831TM-AS S2 (fixed focus) and IPC-T2831T-ZS S2 (varifocal). Unfortunately the newer models use smaller sensors with worse low-light specs and the 4K frame rates are more limited.

This is a varifocal model from the older generation (larger sensor) that is still in stock but more expensive:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the guidance and links. I really appreciate the information.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 of the 1 1/8” 2831 vari and they are great in daytime. Ok at night but not as good as 5442’s. I have super bright floodlight so its stays in color all night so i like the higher resolution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again, a 4MP may stay in color all night with your floodlight, but an 8MP with that same 1/1.8" sensor will need twice as much light to be able to stay in color. Also, what shutter speed are you running at night or are you set to "auto" with the 5442?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once again, a 4MP may stay in color all night with your floodlight, but an 8MP with that same 1/1.8" sensor will need twice as much light to be able to stay in color. Also, what shutter speed are you running at night or are you set to "auto" with the 5442?

I am still getting the hang of the settings, most settings are default.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Light is certainly a much needed friend to these types of cameras! Auto/default settings rarely produce the best results, especially at night.

If you are on auto/default, in most situations at night it will produce a nice bright picture and great picture when nothing is moving, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

In my opinion, shutter and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a lot of great information, thank you. One good thing thing I have going, the City put in a very bright LED streetlight across from the house so I have a LOT of white LED light.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikvision has recently come out with 8mp cameras that use a larger sensor than the 1:1/8 sensor that Dahua still uses. The assumption is that Dahua will eventually come out with some cameras that use the newer, larger sensor. Honestly I would tell you to either wait until Dahua releases a new model, or look at the Hikvision models.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikvision has recently come out with 8mp cameras that use a larger sensor than the 1:1/8 sensor that Dahua still uses. The assumption is that Dahua will eventually come out with some cameras that use the newer, larger sensor. Honestly I would tell you to either wait until Dahua releases a new model, or look at the Hikvision models.
I am waiting on a 8MP varifocal with the 1/1.2" sensor or larger. :)

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
which cam is this?

Believe it is discussed here;