Looking for better nighttime performance between those 5 cameras

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all.

One simple question since I have never used Acusense or Darkfighter cameras in the past, just normal ones which work excellent. Which of those 5 will give best results for nighttime video? I believe daytime will be fine an all of them...

DS-2CD2345FWD-I (4MP, Darkfighter)
DS-2CD2346G1-I (4MP, AcuSense, Darkfighter)
DS-2CD2365FWD-I (6MP)
DS-2CD2343G0-I (4MP)
DS-2CD2363G0-I (6MP)

What part of the specs should I pay attention for the nighttime video?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all.

One simple question since I have never used Acusense or Darkfighter cameras in the past, just normal ones which work excellent. Which of those 5 will give best results for nighttime video? I believe daytime will be fine an all of them...

DS-2CD2365FWD-I (6MP)
DS-2CD2343G0-I (4MP)
DS-2CD2363G0-I (6MP)

Thanks!
HI @MerNion

1st check the spec sheet for lux ratings. ( as all cameras are the same OEM, hopefully you can see the relative lux ratings.. hard to do this across different OEMs who may measure their ratings differently )
Check for f-stop
Check for senor size and resolution - calculate pixel size if not on specs.

Check for reviews here at ipcamtalk

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The specs don't say much because at night LUX is always 0 because the IR is on... The sensors are pretty much identical (1/2.4" - 1/3"). That is why I am asking for advice from anyone who might have one of those cameras and can give true feedback..

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No. I just have read about them. I don't care about having color images at night time, b&w is ok too as long as they are of good quality.. ColorVu is too expensive for my budget at the moment.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The specs don't say much because at night LUX is always 0 because the IR is on... The sensors are pretty much identical (1/2.4" - 1/3"). That is why I am asking for advice from anyone who might have one of those cameras and can give true feedback..
You can use the Color lux rating to get a rough idea of how the cameras are likely to perform at night.

0.008 lux = DS-2CD2345FWD-I
0.012 lux = DS-2CD2346G1-I
0.009 lux = DS-2CD2365FWD-I
0.018 lux = DS-2CD2343G0-I (4MP)
0.028 lux = DS-2CD2363G0-I (6MP)

You'll probably need to do a forum search with those model numbers to find any reviews/comments posted.

ColorVu is too expensive for my budget at the moment.
Sensor-wise, 1/1.8" is where most of the the best current low-light cameras are at. The only Hik model I've seen with that sensor that's under $200 is the ColorVu. If you're open to a different manufacturer, Dahua has a bunch of $150-$200 models (5442) that use that sensor.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You mention the AcuSense 2346 G1. If you were to go for the new 2346 G2 version it's substantially better 0.003 (as is the 8MP version 2386 G2 with it's larger sensor) and has the new version 2 motion detection, so the motion has human/vehicle filtering rather than just the smart events. Also with the G1 version, enabling motion detection disables the other smart events. The 2346 G1 has basically been superseded by the G2 and it hasn't had a firmware update for about a year.

The G0's aren't as well spec'd in general and the 2345FWD-I is pretty old now. Go with the AcuSense but you want the G2 model which is now available optionally with internal microphone (-IU) or with alarms, microphone, speaker and strobe light (-ISU/SL) in both 4 and 8 MP models.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@John Williamson, thank you for your time to get into those details. What you said was very helpful but i checked the DS-2CD2346G2-I and it is too expensive for my needs. Basically I need a camera for my walkway to record movement coming and leaving from the house. It is not for a commercial project or some major security sensitive area, so that is why i was even looking for the 2345FWD-I as my other comeras are mainly 2335s and 2355s on a DS7608 NVR. Nothing special... With that in mind, any updated suggestions between the 5 models I said?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From those listed probably the 2345. You mention that you already have the 2335 FWD-I so you need to keep in mind that from the perspective of minimum illumination, both the 2325FWD-I (2mp) and 2335FWD-I (3mp) will perform better than the 2345 (they are both 0.005 lux minimum and I still have a few installed as I was unimpressed with some of the higher megapixel models) Even though all of the cameras have IR and will perform at 0 lux, those lower megapixel models will still be better - as they’ll allow you to increase the shutter speed a little to keep motion blur to a minimum.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time as a cop. Did a lot of work with video on the job. Unless you are looking to view nocturnal wildlife, low light performance should not be a huge concern. If your property is so dark that any of those cams would have a problem, consider spending your money on solid motion lights, not cams.

Many people in the video surveillance business (either tech guys or alarm guys) are clueless here. If you capture video of a crime on the property, you are still in a bad spot. Your stuff will likely be sold within an hour of it being taken, If the perp is identified, you will be required to go to court. A LOT. In some states, the property owner has to be at every single hearing.

Always take your shot at deterrence first. Criminals are like roaches, they like dark places. The concept of surreptitiously recording criminals unseen may seem like a good idea in theory. But in practice, it's less than ideal. Especially in US right now. Lots of police are looking to do the bare minimum because they are worried about getting in trouble.

Two other thoughts:
1. 6 MP has a 4:3 aspect ratio (read: square, like old-school TVs). I like it much better for security purposes than 16:9. For pro applications, we put them high and criss-cross the cams so you can also capture what is happening close to the base of a building (if you point them straight and they are mounted high up, you get the tops of heads if your angle allows getting the base of the building).
2. ColorVu is awesome

Last edited:

Linas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.

DS-2CD2365FWD-I (6MP)
DS-2CD2343G0-I (4MP)
DS-2CD2363G0-I (6MP)

Thanks!

DS-2CD2346G1-I (4MP, AcuSense, Darkfighter) good choice, but this model production stopped. I offer you better version: Hikvision 4Mpix IP Accusense camera DS-2CD2346G2-I Turret Dome original BLACK EU | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the 2386G2 and 2346G2 cameras? The 4MP colovu has a 1/2.7" sensor and the 2386g2 has a 1/1.8" sensor. I would think in this case the low light performance might be similar/comparable due to the larger sensor? If anyone has any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks for the real life experience Ookie much apprecaited.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the 2386G2 and 2346G2 cameras? The 4MP colovu has a 1/2.7" sensor and the 2386g2 has a 1/1.8" sensor. I would think in this case the low light performance might be similar/comparable due to the larger sensor? If anyone has any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks for the real life experience Ookie much apprecaited.
Yes I have both and the low light performance is similar.