Looking for cheap NVR

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the cheapest NVR suitable for a 2 Dahua Starlight system.
UK Based.
thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the cheapest NVR suitable for a 2 Dahua Starlight system.
UK Based.
thank you
why would you buy good cameras then shoot yourself in the foot with a cheap nvr...

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fair point
What is the entry level NVR you would recommend for 2 cam system

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same here. I have ordered 2 Starlight cams and need a nvr. I think i might expand in the futures, but more then 4 cams wont be needed

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Brand Match for ease of use gentleman... Look at Dahua 8 channel with or without POE depending on your preference.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When the camera's are connected to this nvr, are they still accessible through my lan?

Reaction score
When the camera's are connected to this nvr, are they still accessible through my lan?
They will be accessible. The NVR spec'd above does not have internal POE, so in addition, you would need a separate POE switch. Your Cams and NVR connect to the POE switch, and that in turn is connected to your LAN. Using an NVR with internal POE ports will not easily allow access via your LAN. You would need to connect a computer to one of the internal POE ports, to get access to the Cams. One of the big benefits of using an external POE switch, is you only need to run camera cabling to the switch, not to where the NVR is located. You can put the switch in an attic/basement and the NVR anywhere you want.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever the choice, make sure it can hold a ton of storage on the drive(s). Maybe a 4tb would be enough for your two cameras. I maxed my nvr out with all it can handle- 8tb. Hopefully even that will be enough for up to 4 weeks archiving. I can't tell you the number of times I catch up to things weeks after the event took place. Long gone are the days I watch my cameras and every little thing around my property. I used to be on top of every out of place twig, but now I could easily miss things that aren't criminal in nature but I want answers to nonetheless. And that can usually mean back tracking sometimes weeks prior to find it. So whatever the nvr, stuff it full of max hard drive storage. You can never have enough, imo.

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They will be accessible. The NVR spec'd above does not have internal POE, so in addition, you would need a separate POE switch. Your Cams and NVR connect to the POE switch, and that in turn is connected to your LAN. Using an NVR with internal POE ports will not easily allow access via your LAN. You would need to connect a computer to one of the internal POE ports, to get access to the Cams. One of the big benefits of using an external POE switch, is you only need to run camera cabling to the switch, not to where the NVR is located. You can put the switch in an attic/basement and the NVR anywhere you want.
Thanx, good point. Much easier to connect the nvr to my screen in the living room.
Order placed. Ordered a 8 channel version, Just in case

Now a good poe switch, 8 port

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i ended up buying a used QNAP TS-221 as I only intend to connect 2 cameras ( for now ).
Wonder if I am losing out compared to dedicated NVR

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanx, good point. Much easier to connect the nvr to my screen in the living room.
Order placed. Ordered a 8 channel version, Just in case

Now a good poe switch, 8 port
Great choice. You will not be disappointed.

Here are a couple being recommended on the forum

8 Port 10/100/1000
Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-SW800G | 8 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at: Computers & Accessories

8 Port 10/100
Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-SW801 BV TECH 8 Port & 1 Port Uplink 10/100mbps PoE Switch, IEEE 802.3af, 150W (Grey): Computers & Accessories

SD

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have both of those switches. Only 1 cam connected to the 10/100 switch so far, but both are up and on the network with no issues. Installed the gigabit switch in one location in case I needed to use a spare port for regular network stuff.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
will then have to sell the nas and buy the dahua NVR