Looking For Direction And Advice

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Just stumbled onto this site by accident and wish I had before I bought "a kit" from Costco. I kinda knew up front I would most likely be returning it but I just wanted something in my hand to judge by since I knew nothing. I still am ignorant about the security cam products but in finding this site I believe I can find help in choosing a system that fits my needs.
A little back story to my ignorance and why I came to want cameras. Unfortunately there have been some idiots in my local area that feel that don't have to work and earn what they want in life so they steal from a few neighbors of mine. First thing I ran out and bought a RING door bell ( it has served its purpose so far,may not need it once I get a complete system up and running) and started researching. First product that captured my eye was SWANN 4K bullet cameras, NVR, POE OS with different types of detection. Gave me an insight to what all those terms were and what to expect in software. I was really excited and was going to purchase then saw horrible reviews on customer service. That is when I just got the LOREX product to test. Since then I have come to realize that "a kit" is not most likely going to work and may need different cameras. I have located the "sticky" for first timers and plan to read but wanted to get my intro out first.
I will throw out a couple questions before I stick my head in to those 4 articles.( Are they current ??) By browsing a few threads already one of my ideas has been shot down. I wanted to install dome cameras outside under my eves. Reason being is that they are very low lying( to me but I am 6'4") 7'8" to be exact and lower in a couple other spots. I did not want them so low that someone could grab a bullet camera and turn it or knock it off its base. Add in the base of the bullet camera it will be 2 to 3 inches even lower. Plus I wanted a cleaner/tighter install. My eves are closed with stucco so I was thinking it would work and out of the elements. Thoughts ??
I am so HUNG UP on getting 4K cameras, 8MP @ 30FPS that I MAY be passing up some good systems. I do see a section about cameras in articles but not read yet. Can some one give me a quick down and dirty on this subject please??
I am willing to pay $800-$1000 (Or Less) for a set up and maybe a little more if some can convince me I would need to.
Thanks in advance for your help and time !!!!
James

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..First product that captured my eye was SWANN 4K bullet cameras..
I wanted to install dome cameras outside under my eves. Reason being is that they are very low lying( to me but I am 6'4") 7'8" to be exact and lower in a couple other spots. I did not want them so low that someone could grab a bullet camera and turn it or knock it off its base. ..
I am so HUNG UP on getting 4K cameras, 8MP @ 30FPS that I MAY be passing up some good systems. ..
I am willing to pay $800-$1000 (Or Less) for a set up and maybe a little more if some can convince me I would need to.
Thanks in advance for your help and time !!!!
James
Welcome @James Bonno

Did you pick up any of those Swann 4K cameras?

Q1. First product that captured my eye was SWANN 4K bullet cameras.. but customer service..
A: Those were good cameras - Hikvision OEM, they also had a Turret version - iirc they are sold out of the "deals" on those and have newer versions which I don't know for certain who the OEM is.
A lot of the traditional security camera / surveillance camera companies customer service falls short of consumers desires. Just the way it is - plan to do some DIY learning to self support as much as possible.

Q2: I wanted to install dome cameras outside under my eves..
A: Domes are problematic outdoors... in general avoid using them. Some possible exceptions .. I use a mini-dome wedge by my front door at eye level. see the notes...

Q3: I did not want them so low that someone could grab a bullet camera and turn it or knock it off its base. ..
A: If you install them well, it will not be easy to knock them off their base.. of course many of us do like the turret models better.

Q4: I am so HUNG UP on getting 4K cameras, 8MP @ 30FPS ..
A: Expect to pay extra for a proper 4K UHD 30FPS camera.. most "4K" UHD / 8MP cameras are only 15-20FPS. As Q noted, you don't need 30 fps for most situations. So unless you do, 15-20 fps will be plenty and save you some money and storage space.

Q5: I am willing to pay $800-$1000 (Or Less) for a set up and maybe a little more if some can convince me I would need to.
A: You may need to budget a bit more..

Definitely check out the cliff notes, and welcome here.

Do take some time to determine your needs.

Piles of threads here which cover many questions you may still have after going through the cliff notes.

Remember, it will take some time to figure this out - cliff notes and the threads here will help accelerate that learning.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditch the dome idea and stick to turrets. Same basic form factor, nothing to conveniently grab, and no plastic dome to reflect IR or discolor from UV, even reflected UV. Mounted at 7'4" they won't be very easy to mess with without a ladder or something else to stand on. Mounting them higher also changes angles, and distance, to what you're actually interested in which, in turn, makes positive identification of idiots harder if possible at all.

Don't get caught in the megapixel and high frame rate trap. Two megapixels at 10-15 fps is plenty. You're not producing the next episode of "Mission Improbable" or "Star Wars", you're trying to identify miscreants. The higher frame rate and megapixels take gobs and gobs of disk space if you want to have any kind of historical, or hysterical, records.

Read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki and get low light 2mp cameras. You won't be disappointed. If you really want to get semi-professional, ditch the NVR and get a refurb PC and run Blue Iris. Far more flexible and capable, especially with the new, UI3, remote interface.

Last edited: