Looking for Front Door Wifi Camera

lplim

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forums. My dad had accidentally picked up a Foscam and I know there are better alternatives than that. I was on reddit and people were recommending Reolink and Amcrest. I'm only looking for wifi cameras as alternatives to the ring doorbell.

I was wondering which camera would have a great microphone, good mobile application, as well as BlueIris compatibility and security.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forums. My dad had accidentally picked up a Foscam and I know there are better alternatives than that. I was on reddit and people were recommending Reolink and Amcrest. I'm only looking for wifi cameras as alternatives to the ring doorbell.

I was wondering which camera would have a great microphone, good mobile application, as well as BlueIris compatibility and security.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Avoid reolink, garbage cameras that are not fully compatible with blue iris due to lack of iframe interval settings in the firmware and a company that spams forums and lies.
Amcrest rebrands dahua.
if you need power to the camera, its not wireless.

lplim

n3wb
Reaction score
Avoid reolink, garbage cameras that are not fully compatible with blue iris due to lack of iframe interval settings in the firmware and a company that spams forums and lies.
Amcrest rebrands dahua.
if you need power to the camera, its not wireless.
Dahua seems to be out-of-reach in Canada. Amcrest, Hikvision are available here. 5ghz is preferred.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don’t understand why everyone wants a WiFi camera ? Makes no sense to me, you still need to power some how also they are unreliable , you could just run cat6 with power and data (poe) noobs are funny

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another important factor for me is the availability (easy of getting them) for adding, but more importantly to replace if any die. Warranty doesn't matter much at $65/each :) the more expensive Unifi and Dahua i'm a bit more worried about warranty.
But you can purchase a fixed focal Dahua Starlight of $100.00...that's a difference of $35.00.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Q-See Analog for 8 years, Q-See 2MP for 4 years... which are still running and now hooked to BlueIris (I believe they are Dahua re-branded as the interface looks identical now that I have a Dahua from Andy).

Again, for me the Reolink are fine... as good as the Dahua?... hell no... but they are also 1/3 of the price! You get what you pay for right? I got 12 for about $65/each US including taxes and shipping and a free 16 channel/port POE NVR with 3TB HD as part of a 8 pack (the other 4 were on sale for 59.99)... so hard to beat that price for cameras i just need to view to see who is around.

BlueIris has only minor issues viewing the streams from the Reolink NVR... so i let it handle the recording and BlueIris handles the viewing all the cameras and recording my other cameras.

For more reliable areas I have been trying the Unifi G3 and G3-Pro. About the cost of the Dahua...which I now have 1 of the 12x zoom starlight and love, but that was $400 canadian delivered, the cost of the G3-Pro, but way better. so I won't get more of the G3-Pros and may return/sell the one I have for testing.

I've also run D-Link wifi PTZ and Small WiFi for about 8 years, still working fine, and runs fine under BlueIris for past few weeks without issues.

Another important factor for me is the availability (easy of getting them) for adding, but more importantly to replace if any die. Warranty doesn't matter much at $65/each :) the more expensive Unifi and Dahua i'm a bit more worried about warranty.
So much misinformation in this post...as noted the reolinks are not 1/3 the price. In fact, if your are willing to suffer from spiderweb issues on bullets and eyeballs that reolink offers for 65, there are 88 dollar dahua starlight bullets available. That is 23 dollars...of course for another 12 the turret is well worth it.
Blue iris has serious issues streaming from reolink cameras as the iframe interval cannot be set.
Reolink is a lying scamming company.
You are too cheap to spend 23-35 extra dollars on a dauha/hikvision but spend 400 on an insanely overpriced g3-pro.
Standard wifi cameras/routers are simply not capable of maintaining a 24/7 stream couple that with murphys law and you are not capturing vital video..
Cant wait to see the look on your face when you to try to use the reolink warranty.
The failure rates dahua/hikvision cameras are insanely low. Warranty should not even be a consideration.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink is a lying scamming company.
Like the topic from the other day with the owner of Reolink cams proudly showing his screencaps. I would be ashamed to post these pictures with the pixelblocks. When topic starter is claiming that they are 1/3 of the price, they are like 1/100000th of the quality. You can't even distinguish the share of a leaf, with my dahuas you can even see the shadow of one leaf on another.

If you pay peanuts, you get donkeys! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
65 Canadian all in, including NVR... 88 dollars US would be $120 Canadian + duties + taxes + shipping?... so would be more like $135 at least (if shipping is minimal/free), so that is $67 more, or double the price, and no NVR yet. A computer that can handle 16 cameras and blueiris is about $800 Canadian, depending on the settings you want on blueiris, so add $800/16 cameras = $50/camera for the NVR... that adds up to about $185/camera... so 3x the price/cost. or close enough too it;

or put another way. a 16 camera system with NVR (Canadian):
Reolink total: $1040
Dalhua total: $2960 (+BlueIris, +PoE switch)

Once again, Dalhua will give WAY better picture, and the BlueIris software is WAY better.
but for what I need, the over $1920 that I saved is letting me play with other cameras/systems to see if I need/want something more.

I didn't really expect a staff member/admin of this forum to stoop to name calling/shaming people... for now I'll chalk it up to misunderstanding.

For what I AM doing (this may not work for others), comparable feature wise (I agree, the image quality of a Reolink to Dahua, there is no contest), the Reolinks are a good deal... I can get them in 2 days from Amazon, and any issues within 90 days i can just return to Amazon for a FULL refund Including Return Shipping.
So is 1/3 100% accurate, perhaps not, but as above, its close to that when you factor in the NVR deal I got.

I also indicated that I was trying the G3-Pro and will likely sell/return it as again, as I said before I have a similarly priced Dahua which is way better image and zoom quality... but there are other trade offs using the Dahua... I don't know if they are worth it for ME until I try.

So I wouldn't really call me being cheap... I'm doing my research with actual hardware (which is what one member even suggested I do with the Dahua's, get one of each type I think I like, and see what the actual image is like, etc, before buying a bunch).

I'm not advocating for any brand, but trying to give people information to help them with an informed decision. I get that you must have had a very bad experience with Reolink, and thats good for people to know. perhaps you could share a link to a post describing what happened that caused you to have your opinion.

Not true at all! I have had one running 24/7 for over 8 years. As for "capturing vital video", a wifi cam with built in memory sure will catch it... for a really secure setup, yes, wired camera, to a secured NVR that backs up to the cloud, would be a much more secure setup... but again, what is the user trying to accomplish? security for a vault?

As i said before, for $65 and 2 day shipping, I doubt I would even waste my time with a warranty return.

Glad to hear about the dahua reliability; since i'm already impressed with them so far, i would likely replace any dead cameras with a dahua once I find the model I like best for the features vs. price, and plan to keep one unused, or in a location i can easily move, as backup.
You don't have to chalk it up to a misunderstanding there was no misunderstanding... You just don't know what you're talking about... I don't need your courtesies....
the number of cameras is it relevant to blueiris the fact that you mention the number of cameras in relation to the type of system you need evidences your lack of basic understanding of how it works.. the fact that you keep promoting Wi-Fi despite that is factual impossibility for it to be reliable again evidence is your ineptness... Reolink is garbage and that's all users need to know when they have to make an informed decision... My point was simply that they don't make the same mistake you did... Thankfully we all don't live in Canada...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd also like to help you with your math... Even with your weak Canadian dollar, you are paying $50 for the reolink... 50 is way more than one third of 88.... Maybe Canadian math is different..
In the US We compare apples to apples... So you should be comparing a dahua low end NVR with their low-end cameras or a lorex kit. You again deliberately mislead When comparing your junk reolink it to a complete blueiris system and then again lie about the cost of a PC to run that system.... You just can't stop lying can you?

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone had to install a WiFi doorbell with a "Digital Doorbell Adapter"? Turns out we have an electrical chime and our HSDB1 continually rings the bell non stop when installed. It requires a mechanical chime otherwise.