Looking for help setting up Reolink NVR with a camera from another brand.

j2k

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm working with a Reolink NVR/Camera package - NVR + 12 Reolink cameras and I'm trying to figure out if the NVR can work with a camera from another supplier.

The NVR in question is RLN16-410 - 16 port POE nvr. So far the system has been reliable and works fine with Reolink cameras.

I have access to Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS and to GW 5088IP cameras. Both are supposed to be ONVIF compatible. The GW gets detected by the NVR however despite accepting the user/password combination there is no video. the Dahua doesn't get detected at all by the NVR.

Both cameras are set up to use dhcp and I can access both and view the video feed using their native web interface. I tried connecting them directly to the ports on the NVR and to a POE switch .

At this point I'm wondering if I just have cameras that are not compatible, is it a problem with the NVR or am I not setting something correctly.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm working with a Reolink NVR/Camera package - NVR + 12 Reolink cameras and I'm trying to figure out if the NVR can work with a camera from another supplier.

The NVR in question is RLN16-410 - 16 port POE nvr. So far the system has been reliable and works fine with Reolink cameras.

I have access to Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS and to GW 5088IP cameras. Both are supposed to be ONVIF compatible. The GW gets detected by the NVR however despite accepting the user/password combination there is no video. the Dahua doesn't get detected at all by the NVR.

Both cameras are set up to use dhcp and I can access both and view the video feed using their native web interface. I tried connecting them directly to the ports on the NVR and to a POE switch .

At this point I'm wondering if I just have cameras that are not compatible, is it a problem with the NVR or am I not setting something correctly.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Welcome j2k,

Do take a look at the notes on hitting a Dahua OEM camera directly from a switch.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

You may need to directly access the Dahua camera and set the appropriate settings on it ( IP DHCP, ONVIF,... )

Reolink has a rather poor reputation here for various reasons, including issues with the company making claims about their products which members find out to not be true.

AlexMN

n3wb
Reaction score
I have added several different brands to my Reolink NVR including Dahua, Sunba, and a few different Chinese brands. Here is how I have been successful.

I don't use the POE ports on the NVR for my non-Reolink cameras because then you cannot access the camera settings. I have a POE switch for them. When the cameras try to connect, it seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not they load. When they don't load, log into the camera from the web login and change settings. Most commonly video encoding is the biggest issue. Frame rate or H264 vs H265 settings get adjusted until it works correctly. Weird ports cause issues so I change them to the 9000 port used by Reolink. It has worked for me.

AlexMN

n3wb
Reaction score
The one thing that causes me to lean toward a Reolink NVR is the ease of use on the app. I do like other apps if I want to mess with the settings more (gDMSS), but for normal viewing and playback, I haven't found one I like more than Reolink (but if you are aware of a good one let me know)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing that causes me to lean toward a Reolink NVR is the ease of use on the app. I do like other apps if I want to mess with the settings more (gDMSS), but for normal viewing and playback, I haven't found one I like more than Reolink (but if you are aware of a good one let me know)
yes a pc running blue iris and the blue iris mobile app. Reolink is a crap product from a lying spamming company using fake amazon reviews.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome j2k,

Do take a look at the notes on hitting a Dahua OEM camera directly from a switch.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

You may need to directly access the Dahua camera and set the appropriate settings on it ( IP DHCP, ONVIF,... )

Reolink has a rather poor reputation here for various reasons, including issues with the company making claims about their products which members find out to not be true.
That is, perhaps, the most diplomatic way I've seen Reolink products mentioned on this forum. :)

AlexMN

n3wb
Reaction score
yes a pc running blue iris and the blue iris mobile app. Reolink is a crap product from a lying spamming company using fake amazon reviews.

But your average end-user is not going to setup a dedicated computer when an NVR is much more cost effective. I have a Dahua NVR at my house with several different brands of cameras, including Reolink in the mix. I have setup 15+ camera setups for other people. I have tried a Dahua setup twice and it requires much more technical knowledge to manipulate than most people can handle. The apps are difficult and adding another camera is clunky at best. Of course I disregard the analog garbage people buy at Sam's all together. I think the best setup I have found to buy and put in a house for someone like my parents (average end-users) is a Reolink setup. I haven't had any faulty hard-wired cameras. I did have one wireless camera give me trouble so I returned it. The one thing I don't like about Reolinks cameras is the angle of the lenses. 4.0mm on the standard camera is too narrow for me. I like Dahuas 2.8mm cameras for the same price, so that's what I have for several of them at my house. The Dahua NVR does have some features the Reolink doesn't have, like timed screenshots for an easy time-lapse compilation. That matters to me, but doesn't even cross the mind of most people.

So I hear your opinion, and I assume you have had a bad experience with it in the past, but from the 6-7 Reolink NVR setups I have installed in the past couple of years, I haven't had any trouble, and people don't call me back with issues. That is just my opinion.

But I guess these principles are true in all markets. I like my 96 Chevy truck because I can work on it easily. My brother will never do a repair in his life, so he might as well have a Prius because the other features matter to him more.

P.S. I haven't had Reolink spam me, and I haven't left an Amazon review for them

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But your average end-user is not going to setup a dedicated computer when an NVR is much more cost effective. I have a Dahua NVR at my house with several different brands of cameras, including Reolink in the mix. I have setup 15+ camera setups for other people. I have tried a Dahua setup twice and it requires much more technical knowledge to manipulate than most people can handle. The apps are difficult and adding another camera is clunky at best. Of course I disregard the analog garbage people buy at Sam's all together. I think the best setup I have found to buy and put in a house for someone like my parents (average end-users) is a Reolink setup. I haven't had any faulty hard-wired cameras. I did have one wireless camera give me trouble so I returned it. The one thing I don't like about Reolinks cameras is the angle of the lenses. 4.0mm on the standard camera is too narrow for me. I like Dahuas 2.8mm cameras for the same price, so that's what I have for several of them at my house. The Dahua NVR does have some features the Reolink doesn't have, like timed screenshots for an easy time-lapse compilation. That matters to me, but doesn't even cross the mind of most people.

So I hear your opinion, and I assume you have had a bad experience with it in the past, but from the 6-7 Reolink NVR setups I have installed in the past couple of years, I haven't had any trouble, and people don't call me back with issues. That is just my opinion.

But I guess these principles are true in all markets. I like my 96 Chevy truck because I can work on it easily. My brother will never do a repair in his life, so he might as well have a Prius because the other features matter to him more.
That is incorrect. This forum is full of average end users running blue iris. For most setups a 100 dollar pc and 60 bux for blue iris is more than sufficient.
Dahua does not take any more "technical knowledge" to setup than reolink. If you are using reolink p2p you have exposed all those other people to vulnerabilities. You are mistaken. But I would not use either. Once again, reolink is a lying garbage brand, with fake reviews and hired forum spammers. Fakespot | Reolink Rlc 410 4 Megapixel 1440p 2560x1440 Poe Security Ip Camera Fake Review Analysis
Reolink should NEVER be used, EVER. Period end of story. They are scammers.
Reolink also has no low light cameras so their night and low light vision sucks.
4mm lenses are standard and a good choice 2.8 is often too wide reducing pixel per inch counts.
Your average end user doesnt want to make time lapse videos with their surveillance system.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have added several different brands to my Reolink NVR including Dahua, Sunba, and a few different Chinese brands. Here is how I have been successful.

I don't use the POE ports on the NVR for my non-Reolink cameras because then you cannot access the camera settings. I have a POE switch for them. When the cameras try to connect, it seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not they load. When they don't load, log into the camera from the web login and change settings. Most commonly video encoding is the biggest issue. Frame rate or H264 vs H265 settings get adjusted until it works correctly. Weird ports cause issues so I change them to the 9000 port used by Reolink. It has worked for me.
Thanks for posting. As a Mac user, I like the Reolink kit for its Mac support which is not that easy to find elsewhere. However, Reolink make out that theirs is a closed system, ie you can't get full functionality if you use third party NVRs; and there is no support for connecting third party cams to the Reolink NVR. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this approach because I have a couple of essential camera locations inside backyard lanterns which require mini varifocal cameras that Reolink don't make (photo below shows ancient Philips POE cam which I need to replace). So if I knew I could connect a Dahua or Hikvision cam, directly or indirectly, to the Reolink NVR then their system becomes much more viable for me.

Have you also tried connecting a Hikvision cam? And when you have successfully connected Dahua cams to your Reolink NVR, are you able to control zoom and/or focus and/or PTZ and/or recording functions?
LanternCam CU.png

Bradfm

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct- According to my research, Reolink NVRs have code written in their firmware that blocks 3rd party cameras. They wont specifically admit it when asked. All they say that 3rd party cameras "aren't recommended". This was revealed (An Amazon review, IIRC) by a fellow that looked at their firmware a while back. I spent hours and hours trying to hook an Amcrest ptz to my Reolink NVR to no avail. Always the same result- NVR sees the camera but no video.

Dax333

n3wb
Reaction score

How do you specify RTSP path's in the settings on the nvr? You can choose protocol and the IP address and that seems to be it.
Examples:
rtsp:/10.254.4.62:554/live
rtsp:/10.254.4.21:5555/reo_lawn_zoom

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be fair, they advertise their products as being incompatible with other makes so you know what you're getting into.

mylogon

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you specify RTSP path's in the settings on the nvr? You can choose protocol and the IP address and that seems to be it.
Examples:
rtsp:/10.254.4.62:554/live
rtsp:/10.254.4.21:5555/reo_lawn_zoom
Hey. I was wondering if you managed to sort this out. I'm having this same problem now. I've just tried contacting their customer service just in case they have any advice, but i'm not holding my breath. I have 3 old IP cams that I want to add to my system but this is tripping me up too.
Thanks
Luke

Dax333

n3wb
Reaction score
I gave up and stuck with using their cameras for now. Mostly I just use the nvr for an RTSP repeater because the wifi cameras can't handle too many client connections.

Lebodano

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello there!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
So I've gotten hikvision and amcrest to work with a reolink nvr. It's just the right combination of frame rate, resolution, frame rate and bit rate that's need for them to work. I accidently factory reset all my hikvision before reviewing those settings so I'm in the process of trying to figure it out. For my amcrest, I was able to get the full resolution to work with my reolink nvr by the following settings: H.264, frame rate: 20, bit rate 6144, frame interval: 25, CBR, resolution: 2592*1944, smart codec: off

BCBoy

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks for posting the good news! What was the model number of your Dahua cameras that you used with success with the Reolink NVR?
Would you consider posting the settings that you have had success with, everyone in this thread would really appreciate it.
Thanks for your time.

IPcampava

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you AlexMN. I have the same setup. Reolink RLN16-410(V2) NVR with D800 cameras and I added one Dahua VTO2202F-P. I attached D800 cameras to NVR and Dahua VTO2202F-P to POE switch.
In the ReolinkNVR I was able to add the Dahua camera and the status is mentioned "Previewing" but there is no video displayed.
What setting should be changed in NVR to get the video displayed.

Attachments

bhenry11

n3wb
Reaction score

This helped me somewhat. Thanks for the info.
I changed to H264 and the picture shows up when viewing large single channel screen. The picture will not show up on App or in the small windows for cameras.
Even though I don't see the picture, I can see the recorded video on the DVR.
I cannot see video replay on the phone App as it does not show anything or even show that it has something recorded.
The IP camera I'm trying to use is this one.

HD 5MP POE IP Bullet Camera
Jidetech BC1-5MP
Set to 25 frame rate. Tried a few others, but no help.
Changed port to 9000 but the 8999 was working fine too.

DVR
Reolink 8CH 4K Security Camera System H.265, 4pcs 8MP Person/Vehicle Detection Smart Wired Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 8MP 8-Channel NVR with 2TB HDD for 24/7 Recording, RLK8-810B4-A

I have the IP camera hooked up to a POE switch into the router.
The Reolink DVR recognizes it without doing anything which was nice and added. I just need to figure out if it can be tuned to work with all displays.

I can't seem to find a setting that will allow the Jidetech to show up on phone or smaller views. Tried almost all the display options.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kersam43

n3wb
Reaction score
Ich habe meinem Reolink NVR mehrere verschiedene Marken hinzugefügt, darunter Dahua, Sunba und einige verschiedene chinesische Marken. Also war ich erfolgreich.

Ich verwende die POE-Ports am NVR nicht für meine Nicht-Reolink-Kameras, da Sie dann nicht auf die Kameraeinstellungen zugreifen können. Ich habe einen POE-Schalter für sie. Wenn die Kameras versuchen, eine Verbindung herzustellen, scheint es eine Entscheidung zu sein, ob sie geladen werden oder nicht. Wenn Sie nicht geladen werden, melden Sie sich über das Web-Login bei der Kamera und ändern Sie die Einstellungen. Am häufigsten ist die Videocodierung das größte Problem. Bildrate oder H264 vs. H265-Einstellungen werden angepasst, bis es richtig funktioniert. Seltsame Ports verursachen Probleme, daher ändere ich sie in den von Reolink verwendeten 9000-Port. Bei mir hat es funktioniert.
[/ZITIEREN]

Hallo AlexMN,
Wie haben Sie es geschafft, die Kameras in das Reolink-System zu integrieren? Ich habe genau das gleiche Problem und komme nicht weiter. Mein Reolink NVR ist ein RLN8-410 mit Firmware-Version v3.0.0.123_21031205. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn ich hierzu Hilfe bekommen könnte. Danke

Welche Kamera möchte ich integrieren: Imou Ranger Pro & Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW. Ich habe mir beide Kameras zum Testen ausgeliehen.

Ich schreibe aus Deutschland und mit einem Übersetzer von Google.
Grüße
Kersam43

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be fair, they advertise their products as being incompatible with other makes so you know what you're getting into.
They also claim their systems are compatible with cameras that are ONVIF 2.1 compliant. They should not make that claim if it isnt true.