Looking for IPC-HDW4231EM-AS alternative in black

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to buy a Dahua camera with the same characteristics as the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. I need a 2.8mm lens wide angle camera, which can see in pitch dark, and with good sound.
I would like this camera in black version. I saw this one: 4MP IR Fixed Lens ePoE Eyeball (Black) – Dahua North America but I am not sure it is worth the price, this one is more expensive that the IPC I bought. What do you think, and do you have other Dahua black models in mind that could fit for the purpose? Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to buy a Dahua camera with the same characteristics as the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. I need a 2.8mm lens wide angle camera, which can see in pitch dark, and with good sound.
I would like this camera in black version. I saw this one: 4MP IR Fixed Lens ePoE Eyeball (Black) – Dahua North America but I am not sure it is worth the price, this one is more expensive that the IPC I bought. What do you think, and do you have other Dahua black models in mind that could fit for the purpose? Thank you!
that camera will perform much worse in low light...its a 1/3 sensor..

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah...I check the caracteristics of the one I currently have, it says :
Image Sensor : 1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive scan CMOS

1/2.8 is much better than 1/3 then?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah...I check the caracteristics of the one I currently have, it says :
Image Sensor : 1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive scan CMOS

1/2.8 is much better than 1/3 then?
Yes, that particular sensor is significantly better. See starlight threads. Couple that with the fact that 4mp vs 2mp there is much less light getting in on the 4mp. Its a night and day difference. Dont believe me? see the videos on this site. Dont believe those? buy the 1/3 and see for yourself. Sometimes you need to learn the hard way.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will see the videos and believe you, as you are the one who recommended me this camera and I am very satisfied of it. It's just that I wanted a black version as I don't want to paint the white cameras, I did that with my Hikvision and it was a very bad idea.

I found this one from the same store I bought the other one: US $169.09 5% OFF|Aliexpress.com : Buy IP Camera Black IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Is it a good alternative or did I miss something?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will see the videos and believe you, as you are the one who recommended me this camera and I am very satisfied of it. It's just that I wanted a black version as I don't want to paint the white cameras, I did that with my Hikvision and it was a very bad idea.

I found this one from the same store I bought the other one: US $169.09 5% OFF|Aliexpress.com : Buy IP Camera Black IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Is it a good alternative or did I miss something?
That is actually a better camera with varifocal. It would work well for you.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Check with Andy at Empire Tech, empiretcandy. He has the black version of the 5231R-ZE along with a black, weatherproof, mounting box for it available right now. Good pricing, good service and a known, good, source.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I bought the 4231 from Andy, the white version and I just bought the black version 5231 from him as well. I will buy a bunch of them later on, like 25-30...Big order incoming :wow: