Looking for opinions on a Lorex system

Tang Doan

n3wb
Reaction score
As Black friday rolls around the corner, I am looking for a security system that can fit my house. I know I really wanted a 4 camera system minimum but I came across this one at Costco and was wondering what people thought about it. This one isn't on sale but there is a 4 camera bullet style system (that has no price yet) in the Costco black friday ad. The one in the black friday ad seems like a door buster and I am personally shying away from it. But any thoughts or ideas cause I don't have many people I can bounce this off of. Thanks for any advice!

Non sale system:

Black Friday Ad:

Yes I really want the blue Iris system as my coworker has really sold me on it, but it also seems like way too much work for me and my personal needs. Just looking for something a bit more simple to start off and get rolling.

Also, when I first moved in, I pre-wired my house with networking (granted it is aluminum clad Cu) but I figured this might be the easier route for me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As Black friday rolls around the corner, I am looking for a security system that can fit my house. I know I really wanted a 4 camera system minimum but I came across this one at Costco and was wondering what people thought about it. This one isn't on sale but there is a 4 camera bullet style system (that has no price yet) in the Costco black friday ad. The one in the black friday ad seems like a door buster and I am personally shying away from it. But any thoughts or ideas cause I don't have many people I can bounce this off of. Thanks for any advice!

Yes I really want the blue Iris system as my coworker has really sold me on it, but it also seems like way too much work for me and my personal needs. Just looking for something a bit more simple to start off and get rolling.

Welcome Tang,

Remember to first define what your functional needs / wants are for a security camera. If you need help on this, please see the cliff notes - there is a section to help determine the number and areas you may want to cover. Remember to plan to mount the cameras low enough to get better angles on faces to increase chances of a good facial ID image ( 6-8 feet high is recommended ) - as well as noting the ID range of the cameras are significantly shorter than what Hollywood has lead us to believe. ( more info in the notes )

Do take a look at the various Costco Lorex threads here - the kit you note is an updated form of an older version from Lorex which Costco carried. Still good info in those threads.

Also, a number of members have picked up that kit and are sharing their experiences with it, including @NoneYa44 ( thanks None! )
Lorex Active Deterence 4K - Super H.264/5 & Recording Quality & Setup Questions?

The Q-see BF deal from Costco is ALSO a Dahua OEM - and they keep the IVS features ( call them IVA instead ) - so not a bad kit - and you should be able to add Dahua OEM starlight cameras to it ( also to the Lorex kit - tho IVS features are removed from the Lorex product ) I believe that Q-see kit will go for $350 based on what I saw on Google Cache as the original price of that kit and the listed discount. ( $450-$100 )

Either set of cameras will work with Blue Iris - at least the video and audio capture and processing - check the threads here on the 2-way audio for the "Active Deterrence" cameras to see if Blue Iris also supports the audio out feature ( I think it does.. )

Also, when I first moved in, I pre-wired my house with networking (granted it is aluminum clad Cu) but I figured this might be the easier route for me.
Doooh... CCA .. not a good option - especially for POE :facepalm:

For those following this thread - use cat5e/6 with SOLID COPPER wires - either 23/24 AWG - it is only a little more $ and significantly better.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also note, the one $150 off on a Lorex kit picture you posted is for a DVR kit. Personally I like IP POE kits more, so that is the route I would recommend going.

Tang Doan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. Very sorry for breaking all the rules... :( As a new poster i knew i was going to do something wrong...
Welcome Tang,
Doooh... CCA .. not a good option - especially for POE :facepalm:

For those following this thread - use cat5e/6 with SOLID COPPER wires - either 23/24 AWG - it is only a little more $ and significantly better.
Yea that was a HUGE mistake on my part after reading thru the wiki on top (and my co worker telling me that it was a bad mistake as well). the good news is that since it is pre wired, all i have to do is take it off and run it so im not to pissed about it.

Also note, the one $150 off on a Lorex kit picture you posted is for a DVR kit. Personally I like IP POE kits more, so that is the route I would recommend going.
Didn't catch that either! Thank you for pointing it out

I have lots of reading tonight! Again thank you for all the info and thank you @NoneYa44 for starting the other thread

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea that was a HUGE mistake on my part after reading thru the Wiki on top (and my co worker telling me that it was a bad mistake as well). the good news is that since it is pre wired, all i have to do is take it off and run it so im not to pissed about it.
@Tang Doan ,
Can you use the CCA wire as a fish to pull replacement Copper wire through? If so that would be your best bet to replace the CCA.