Looking for Software have questions

truckeic

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a PC based software that I can install on a dedicated server to stream and record all of my various cams. I just bought a Argus 2 IP cam and I have some off brand wireless cams and may buy some WYZE Cams. I would like something that I can open up on the PC and see all of the streams as well as be able to see these streams from my Phone. Maybe get alerts when something is triggered. Will this Blue Iris do all of this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a PC based software that I can install on a dedicated server to stream and record all of my various cams. I just bought a Argus 2 IP cam and I have some off brand wireless cams and may buy some WYZE Cams. I would like something that I can open up on the PC and see all of the streams as well as be able to see these streams from my Phone. Maybe get alerts when something is triggered. Will this Blue Iris do all of this?
Yes, and more. It's very likely the best value in VMS software out there and is highly favored on this forum.

Many video turtorials by member @Dasstrum at Video Tutorials

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: Wiki.
Avoid Wyze, Reolink, Foscam, Nest, ARlo, Ring.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wyze is not reliable at all for PC based software. That's where I started but quickly learned to stay away from wifi cams.
That being said, I do play with them to watch bird feeders. Their non supported RTSP software, which would be required to monitor on a PC is poor and gives signal continuous signal losses even within arms lengths of the router.

truckeic

n3wb
Reaction score
Wyze is not reliable at all for PC based software. That's where I started but quickly learned to stay away from wifi cams.
That being said, I do play with them to watch bird feeders. Their non supported RTSP software, which would be required to monitor on a PC is poor and gives signal continuous signal losses even within arms lengths of the router.
Understand that they are not the pro way to go but I have the one Argus 2 and I also own 2 other wireless cams and to get me started will Blue Iris work with them? I am planning on wiring my house with CAT6 to install wired cams in the future when I can afford too. I have looked on here at the store what other brands do you suggest? Would say the Reolink wired cams be OK?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Avoid Reolink!
I have tried several brands/generics and had the best experiences with Dahua, Hikvision and Amcrest (in that order), then other random brands/generics way at the bottom of the list.
Be careful when shopping as there are several chinese langauage only models that have been 'hacked' to english/etc but cannot ever be updated with newer firmware without reverting to chinese language only again. So you may save a couple $ but create headaches later on.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Avoid Reolink, Foscam and any, basically, camera under $100USD since they're all junk in one way or another. Wyse, Ring, Nest, Yada Yada, are all "cloud based" and will not integrate well with Blue Iris, and when you view the stream you'll be sending it up to the "cloud" then making the "cloud" send it back down to you just so you can see it. A terrible waste of bandwidth and resources. Have you looked at the Cliff Note in the WiKi at all?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read, study,Plan before spending money.

-------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Generally bigger is better

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google Advance search
set site or domain to ipcamtalk.com
OR
in the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also look at the bottom of the Forum page for (Vendors) EmpireTech - Andy...most buy from him..great seller from what they say here.
I myself have not purchased yet.. I still am in the Research, Read, Plan and research some more phase....:)

AP514

Last edited:
Reaction score
Building/buying a PC for Blue Iris: See the Cliff Notes section of the WIKI.

I have purchased several (12) Dahua cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY with no regrets. He ships them from Hong Kong and you get them in about a week. The easiest/best way to buy from him is to email him. I made my purchases in groups. Two here, three there, etc. This allowed me to learn along the way, rather than jumping in with all twelve at the start and then maybe had purchased the wrong models for some locations.

SouthernYankee has supplied a lot of info above with many links to additional info and to camera reviews.

kroq83

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two Wyze cam for testing and to mine dad got one to fill in area where his Nest is not. The picture look good for $25. I just link to Blue Iris demo for testing. The problem is that the Wyze don't have rtsp setup in it firm wear. So you need to download a beta firm wear from webpage and place on the SD chip. The Wyze cam are good to learn from. I have 8 and 2gb in them but will get a 32gb for the 7 days record. The snap it are 12 sec long and will send a notice. It a stepping stone and Home depot have them for $25. This camera is double side tape looking through double glass window. I have one outside and too.
The mountain is 25 away with tv antenna. Wyze is a group that quit Amazon cam. That app is good so far.

1579384960143.png.

Last edited: