Looking for some feedback on my driveway cam proposal

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that I am taking a break on my LPR setup with my zoomed in cam and overview of the street cam I want to think about how I am going to monitor the front of my house mainly the driveway and entrance to my house. My thought is to have two cams on each corner point towards each other to get some overlap and be focusing on my driveway. What I can't really decide on is 3.6mm or 6mm I don't believe I need to get a 2.8mm as I will be getting to two cams. Attached is a IPVM export with 2 6mm. Do you guys believe I would still be good with 3.6mm or would the quality downgrade at further than 20ft not be worth it for my proposed setup.

I plan on purchasing the IPC-HFW5442E-SE but that is not available on IPVM so I chose the closest varifocal and changed the settings to match 6mm.

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you thought about the IPC-T5442T-ZE at all? It's varifocal from 2.7mm-12mm. With that, you can dial it in as you like.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you thought about the IPC-T5442T-ZE at all? It's varifocal from 2.7mm-12mm. With that, you can dial it in as you like.
I already own the Z4E I am trying to purchase a set lens and these have a little bit better specs compared to the varifocal at the set lengths. These are really to be close in so I would be wasting zoom on the Verifocal as i would not go beyond 6mm.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you park in the driveway at night ?
If so two cameras mounted no higher than the top of the garage door, not on the soffit These cameras will point directly down the driveway, I would use a 3.6mm or a 6,mm camera. You want to be able to identify the door checkers.

One camera mounted of the corner of the garage point back at the front door, looking at the package drop
One camera mounted at the front door pointing out, mounted low, no more than 6 feet up.

Get a good variable focus camera to check camera placement and the correct lens.
IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight

You need coverage at the sides and the back of the house. You are trying to do to much with to few cameras.

Use a test rig to test your camera location. Have a friend wearing a hoodie, sunglasses and looking down, if you can not easily identify him, as he approches the house/car then your cameras are incorrectly placed.

from my normal welcome message:
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
from my normal welcome message:
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Given my recent research and reading a lot of posts on here trying to find the answers I was told to look for, you might add recommendations for Varifocal cameras to your tips. Yes, a "test rig" is nice, but that thread just talks about clagging some 2x4s together and no real info on hardware for preliminary testing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The test rig can be used for any camera . The best mid price range variable focus camera is the

IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight

always use hikvision darkfighter or dahua starlight. The dahua 442 cameras are all good at night.
========================================

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- MP variable focus AI