Looking for which cameras to pair with my Unifi home system. Go Unifi or 3rd Party + BI?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm moving in November, and I'm leaving all my cameras with the house. I am taking my server that runs BI however.

The new house is 7500 Sq Ft, so with that, I'll be updating all the networking to everything Unifi. I'm currently a bit hung up on whether I should stick with Blue Iris and get third party cameras again, or go all Unifi Cameras and use all their proprietary whatever.

Does anyone have any experience with Unifi cameras and their systems? Is it big downgrade from a dedicated BI server and my Dahua dome cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm moving in November, and I'm leaving all my cameras with the house. I am taking my server that runs BI however.

The new house is 7500 Sq Ft, so with that, I'll be updating all the networking to everything Unifi. I'm currently a bit hung up on whether I should stick with Blue Iris and get third party cameras again, or go all Unifi Cameras and use all their proprietary whatever.

Does anyone have any experience with Unifi cameras and their systems? Is it big downgrade from a dedicated BI server and my Dahua dome cams?
I would suggest buying a cheap unifi cloud gateway Max then testing it with a single unifi camera to see if it has the features you need.... There are many things you can do with Blue Iris that you cannot do with protect on the other hand if you're not using any of those features in Blue Iris you are better off with protect

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd probably hook the cameras at your old house to a refurbished NVR or at least factory reset them all so they're easier to hook to a NVR.

Last I looked, Unifi's cameras were a bit dated and underwhelming. Unifi protect recently added support support for third party cameras.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd probably hook the cameras at your old house to a refurbished NVR or at least factory reset them all so they're easier to hook to a NVR.

Last I looked, Unifi's cameras were a bit dated and underwhelming. Unifi protect recently added support support for third party cameras.

The cameras at the old house are staying with the house. I wonder what sort of implications come with using 3rd party cams with unifiy protect. I haven't used it personally, but it seems better than Blue Iris.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras at the old house are staying with the house. I wonder what sort of implications come with using 3rd party cams with unifiy protect. I haven't used it personally, but it seems better than Blue Iris.
There's a thread on it here. I don't remember if this was reported as an issue, but the on camera smart motion detections like human detection may not be recognized by protect. It may have it's own computer vision functions idk.