Looking to buy a new NAS

gotitmadecij

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new NAS , anybody have any recommendations on a good,dependable one. (Synology,QNAP. etc) Thanks

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Think a out all the features you want from the NAS and then work out if something like a qnap or synology will satisfy your requirements. I have a Buffalo Terastation which was OK at the time but given how old it is now is limited.

gotitmadecij

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What capacity and redundancy are you looking for? Like, how many terabytes of usable space and how many simultaneous disk failures do you want it to survive?
The storage calculator recommended 16Tb for approx 30 days which is what I was hoping . I was thinking of upgrading from my Seagate 2Tb, 2bay ,to maybe a 4 or 5 bay....from what I have been reading that could give me 1 or 2 hdd failures... I have been looking at the Synology 1019+ 5 bay. The reviews I have been reading about the Synology are saying that some have had complete failures with the enclosures (no problem with the drives) I think I am going to start with four WD82PURZ 8TB Purple drives.
My current Seagate 2tb,2 bay. only allows me 5 days of clips,without any redundancy. The Seagate is also a 2015 model, so age is starting to come in to it. Sorry about the rambling...TIA

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you think you need a 5 bay then I’d get something with a few more bays. Back when I got my NAS I thought I needed a 2 bay but went for a 4 bay.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I am most familiar with FreeNAS which is a custom operating system you can install onto a standard PC (best to use it with 8+ GB of ECC memory, which is not commonly found in desktop PCs). That might be overkill for you though. Have you considered instead getting, say, two 10 TB drives and splitting your cameras between them so half record to one drive and half to the other? This would be much cheaper and simpler than a RAID setup and you would not be putting all your eggs into one basket as they say.

Using two separate drives, you would not even need to have a NAS. Assuming your BI computer has room for the two drives.

Last edited:

gotitmadecij

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I am most familiar with FreeNAS which is a custom operating system you can install onto a standard PC (best to use it with 8+ GB of ECC memory, which is not commonly found in desktop PCs). That might be overkill for you though. Have you considered instead getting, say, two 10 TB drives and splitting your cameras between them so half record to one drive and half to the other? This would be much cheaper and simpler than a RAID setup and you would not be putting all your eggs into one basket as they say.

Using two separate drives, you would not even need to have a NAS. Assuming your BI computer has room for the two drives.
I had not thought about using the BI Machine . I will have to open it up and explore that possibility, Thanks again

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd rather record cctv footage on a local hdd than on a nas if possible.