Looking to get into the camera install Biz.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Any good resources for people looking to maybe getting into the IP cam install biz? Is it worth it? Is it super cut-throat? Is it like PC repair where every retard in their basement thinks they can do it and posts on craigslist offering the cheapest price known to man? My girlfriend's boss wants me to work with him to set up a camera system in his new building and if it goes well he wants to start offering the service. I'm sure it wildly varies but what kind of money could one look at making even on the low end? Thanks for any replies.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do it part time for my wife's boss. He owns multiple hotels and I usually just charge him cost for the cameras and $35 an hour. Yes its cheap but he buys any tool I need to do the install so I don't complain about hourly wage or cost. I usually make about $150 in material cost per camera if I sell it otherwise to another business.

I really think it depends on how much time and effort you want to spend. Remember it goes good until you get a pain in the ass customer which I got recently and he was NEVER happy with anything. I installed cameras and he didn't like the "looks" of security cameras so he made me find hidden cameras that were analog. Then he complained about the quality. I told him they are analog so there isn't much we can do about it and he relaxed.

Ive installed them in 2 places in town.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I do it part time for my wife's boss. He owns multiple hotels and I usually just charge him cost for the cameras and $35 an hour. Yes its cheap but he buys any tool I need to do the install so I don't complain about hourly wage or cost. I usually make about $150 in material cost per camera if I sell it otherwise to another business.

I really think it depends on how much time and effort you want to spend. Remember it goes good until you get a pain in the ass customer which I got recently and he was NEVER happy with anything. I installed cameras and he didn't like the "looks" of security cameras so he made me find hidden cameras that were analog. Then he complained about the quality. I told him they are analog so there isn't much we can do about it and he relaxed.

Ive installed them in 2 places in town.

Wow what a pain in the ass. Yeah in this case her boss would be doing the sales and everything I would be the tech guy and probably the installer at first and then if we make enough hire someone to crawl through the ceilings. I'd take $35 an hour, that's more than I make right now working for the crooks I work for. :D

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well our local people charge $75 per hour and I see them everywhere so I am going to raise my rates once I get everything in order. I am looking into going to a tech college or trying to get some sort of education to help me on the wiring and electrical part.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well our local people charge $75 per hour and I see them everywhere so I am going to raise my rates once I get everything in order. I am looking into going to a tech college or trying to get some sort of education to help me on the wiring and electrical part.

Buy some books, college and tech school is a waste of money, take it from someone who did it haha.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some things to consider. Some states requires licensing to install security cameras. You may need insurance or at the very least open an LLC. Eventually there will be a jerk who will seek to blame you for something even if its not your fault. Will cost you 10k in legal fees even its not your fault. Use proven equipment, Dahua, hikvision, switches with good reviews and most importantly quality cables (100% copper and quality rj45 plugs). You need to build warranty service/device failure into your price. Even if you sell the camera for cost the customer will want you to replace on your dime it if it fails. IP cameras are heavy dependent on the network and particularly the router, if they have an old underpowered unit, let them know they may have to replace it at their cost if it causes issues, or just build a new one into the price. Show the customer the camera!!! if you intend to use a mounting box show them how it will look. Develop some good snaking/fishing skills...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Some things to consider. Some states requires licensing to install security cameras. You may need insurance or at the very least open an LLC. Eventually there will be a jerk who will seek to blame you for something even if its not your fault. Will cost you 10k in legal fees even its not your fault. Use proven equipment, Dahua, hikvision, switches with good reviews and most importantly quality cables (100% copper and quality rj45 plugs). You need to build warranty service/device failure into your price. Even if you sell the camera for cost the customer will want you to replace on your dime it if it fails. IP cameras are heavy dependent on the network and particularly the router, if they have an old underpowered unit, let them know they may have to replace it at their cost if it causes issues, or just build a new one into the price. Show the customer the camera!!! if you intend to use a mounting box show them how it will look. Develop some good snaking/fishing skills...

Good advice, I think it's pretty retarded that you can install your own cameras but if you install them for someone else you have to have a license. Sounds like another way for the govt. to fleece people for money.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It such but insurance is pretty much required either way. Wait till you start drilling holes in wall and hit a pipe or cable...it's amazing how many pipes are in a commercial building lol

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It such but insurance is pretty much required either way. Wait till you start drilling holes in wall and hit a pipe or cable...it's amazing how many pipes are in a commercial building lol
Yeaahh, that doesn't sound like fun.