Looking to revamp current security system...need some suggestions please

JohnRRE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I work in the education field managing technology for the district. I could use some advice on replacing some of our defective TrendNet cameras and our current setup.
We have about a dozen or so TrendNet TV-IP341PI and maybe a few old Axis PTZ cameras with no exterior coverage. Currently, most of our cameras feed into an Aruba switch and then from the switch the cameras were added by IP address to Blue Iris.

Most of the cameras fail throughout the day and either turn pink or just disconnect and loses its image.
I just inherited this setup so I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the setup as well as suggestions for indoor cameras such as one to monitor the main entrance and other high traffic areas like the cafeteria.
I do not really have a budget at this point because the district does not allocate money towards the current security setup. However, I would like at least a decent camera that can last the day and not fail.
I had an old Xeon server laying around so I set that up to run BlueIris off of. The only reason I can think the cameras are failing is because of either the camera or the cable run.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome!! You inherited a "not so good" system. Refer to the Cliff Notes in the Wiki above.

What kind of budget do you have?

A Dahua 2231 (assuming you don't want audio recording) will probably be your best bet for low cost, but awesome camera. It's a turret vs. a dome, so it may look a bit odd, but you can't beat the performance. There are probably some lower cost options. This is a pretty good list of all the Dahua reviews with costs.

Being public funds, you may have trouble ordering directly from @EMPIRETECANDY, but he does have an Amazon store that should get you around that issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I work in the education field managing technology for the district. I could use some advice on replacing some of our defective TrendNet cameras and our current setup.
We have about a dozen or so TrendNet TV-IP341PI and maybe a few old Axis PTZ cameras with no exterior coverage. Currently, most of our cameras feed into an Aruba switch and then from the switch the cameras were added by IP address to Blue Iris.

Most of the cameras fail throughout the day and either turn pink or just disconnect and loses its image.
I just inherited this setup so I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the setup as well as suggestions for indoor cameras such as one to monitor the main entrance and other high traffic areas like the cafeteria.
I do not really have a budget at this point because the district does not allocate money towards the current security setup. However, I would like at least a decent camera that can last the day and not fail.
I had an old Xeon server laying around so I set that up to run BlueIris off of. The only reason I can think the cameras are failing is because of either the camera or the cable run.

Thanks for your help.
Toss the old server. The power usage alone would pay for a 100 dollar i5-3570 hp 8300. See wiki for choosing hardware.
Then move to 1080 starlight cameras.

JohnRRE

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome, great resources that I will definitely take advantage of. Thanks for the response! I was thinking about up to $500 for the front door cameras and then maybe up to $250 for the hallways and other areas.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score