Lorex color night vision 4k

Reaction score
I was ready to order Dahua 4k cams until I saw this.
Any ideas if these cameras are any good?

4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Outdoor IP Audio Dome Camera, 200ft Night Vision
4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Motorized Varifocal Outdoor IP Audio Dome Camera
Audio HD IP 2K Dome Security Camera, 150ft night vision, wide angle lens

I hear mixed reviews for Lorex in general.
I have heard it is rebranded Hikvision, but I can't find these cameras in the Hikvision catalog.
I like the idea of the built in mic for sound and the fixed lens has a good wide angle.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Katch,

From what I can tell:
They are basically the same as the Dahua OEM international 4K models which Andy ( Empiretecandy here ) sells however without the Dahua IVS features and some of the Lorex cameras do not have the microSD card slot. Oh, and they're painted black... which actually can be more problematic if you want to reduce radiant heat issues when the cameras are under direct sunlight in a hot climate.

Also note, the claim of "200ft night vision, or 250ft night vision, or 150ft night vision" are all .. well, marketing fluff - not proper engineering.

Unless Lorex has some super killer deal going on, you will be better off getting components from Andy.

[ note, remember you can always paint the case to better match your home ]

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex are simply Dahua's, with some feature's removed.
Those cams in your links are WAY overpriced.
Click on wiki at the top, and read the cliff notes.
Don't fall for the megapixel hype.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it seems there is consistent agreement the best night vision bang for your buck here is the current Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras.
But for well lit daytime are the 4k cameras mentioned here and\or direct Dahua equivalents a big step up in resolution and clarity that the aformentioned 2mp camera? I would imagine you would be able to have better clarity when enlarging well lit images from a 4k (8MP?) vs 2mp.
If you had an open budget and the wife did not care what the exterior of your house looked like. theoretically would it be best to have both mounted to get the best day pic from the 4Ks and the best night pic from the 2mp starlights?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So it seems there is consistent agreement the best night vision bang for your buck here is the current Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras.
But for well lit daytime are the 4k cameras mentioned here and\or direct Dahua equivalents a big step up in resolution and clarity that the aformentioned 2mp camera? I would imagine you would be able to have better clarity when enlarging well lit images from a 4k (8MP?) vs 2mp.
If you had an open budget and the wife did not care what the exterior of your house looked like. theoretically would it be best to have both mounted to get the best day pic from the 4Ks and the best night pic from the 2mp starlights?
Hi nbstl68,

I would have a mix of 8mp and 2mp starlights if budget and looks were less of an issue.
Maybe 2x 8mp added to the front of the house to better cover daytime issues like package thieves and IDing their cars.

Do look on the forum for reviews and comparisons between HDW58xx/HFW58xx and HDW5231xx/HFW52xx cameras.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are there any 4K cameras out there now that provides decent quality,(aka can identify someone at night at a reasonable distance) night vision video?

Reaction score
late to the party here but I can chime in about Lorex 4k cameras. I recently installed 8 of the 4k varifocal cameras from lorex, but for a non security related application. I use them on equipment at work so I can review issues if something breaks. Ive been very happy with the IQ from the cameras so far, certainly not as good as a 4k video camera but decent for monitoring. Sadly i cannot speak to the night vision, but from an image quality stand point i've been very impressed.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which Dahua equivalent would be the same as the Lorex ones mentioned above?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which Dahua equivalent would be the same as the Lorex ones mentioned above?
Welcome @civic17

If you are looking at the 8MP models of cameras you want to go to the Dahua international website and look at 8MP models and see what may fit the specs listed for the Dahua OEM models may correspond to the Lorex models.

In general
for Bullets look at IPC-HFW18xx and IPC-HFW48xx for fixed lens cameras and IPC-HF58xx for varifocal cameras.

for turrets look at the IPC-HDWxxxx series.

Remember this is not a perfect match - as the cameras are made just for Lorex - however you should get a good idea by comparing the specs.