Lorex? Dahua? Lorex is Dahua?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the world of IP cameras, I'm about a week into trying to learn about them. I'm interested in setting up 4 cameras on a residential property (my home) in the city. My house is a Row Home on the end of the block, with a garage and side door on one side facing a side street, the front door facing the main street, and a narrow alley behind the property. My initial assessment is that I can cover the garage, the side door, the rear alley, and the front door adequately with a 4 camera system, but I think it would be a good idea to buy a system I can add more cameras to later if needed.

My initial thought was Flir, since they're someone I had heard of before, and I (thought I) knew they made high end cameras for military and industrial purposes. Searching for Flir Cameras lead me to Lorex, who claims to be by Flir. I had just about settled on choosing this package: https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/8-channel-hd-security-camera-system-with-ip-cameras/HDIP822VW-1-p#featuresSection before I found your forum. I really liked the color night vision option, in my neighborhood there have been many break ins, break in attempts, and car break ins (someone broke the door handle to my garage door trying to get in, and that started this whole quest) and I feel like being able to tell the police who do respond remarkably quickly that it was someone in a Red coat rather than just a coat could be very useful.

I had also considered Flir FX, the smart zones for triggering notifications and the rapid recap seem like really amazing features, but all in all I think I need a more robust system to be able to cover the full exterior of my house 24/7

After coming here I learned that Lorex is really Dahua rebranded (what happened to Flir?) and Flir may in fact not really be Flir but someone else anyway :confused:. And now I don't know what the smart way to move forward on this is. Are Lorex Cameras out dated Dahua cameras, packaged then rebranded w/ a Flir tag to sell for more money? Am I even going in the right direction on this or should I scrap my initial plans and start from scratch with a Hikvision or Dahua or someone else entirely?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback and advice. I am so glad I was able to find a forum for this topic.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FLIR is a generic term meaning: Forward looking infrared (aka Night Vision).. Infrared lighting is invisible to the human eye, so its like shining a spotlight only a camera (or bugs) can see.

not to be confused with FLIR Systems, that makes Thermal cameras which are like night vision on steroids, they detect infrared radiation emitted as heat, basically anything warm becomes a light source, these things are way more sensitive, but useless for many security applications..buying a single camera from them is going to run 4-5 figures, minimum.

Dahua is an OEM Manufacturer, Lorex is an Integrator.. Dahua does not sell to the public, its like your Dell computer being full of Intel chips.. good luck going to Intel and asking for chips and support.

Dahuas are excellent cameras, I own a bunch of em and am buying more.. nothing wrong if you get em from Lorex.. mine dont have any name printed on em so I could call em Nayruahs and sell them if I liked.. With all OEM products its up to the retailer you bought it from to provide you with a warranty/support, if you email dahua do not expect a response unless your interested in buying a few thousand cameras at a time.. then dahua will just print your name on the camera and box for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I'm going to move forward with the Lorex set up. Maybe during my first round of upgrades I'll get one of those FLIR cameras you linked hahaha.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
quality is fine, cost is inflated, most of there cams use crappy round diode IR, and they dont have the turret form factor which is much better than all the domes they offer.

overall very unimpressed with there choices.. and they are lagging.

Reaction score
FLIR is a generic term meaning: Forward looking infrared (aka Night Vision).. Infrared lighting is invisible to the human eye, so its like shining a spotlight only a camera (or bugs) can see.

not to be confused with FLIR Systems, that makes Thermal cameras which are like night vision on steroids, they detect infrared radiation emitted as heat, basically anything warm becomes a light source, these things are way more sensitive, but useless for many security applications..buying a single camera from them is going to run 4-5 figures, minimum.

Dahua is an OEM Manufacturer, Lorex is an Integrator.. Dahua does not sell to the public, its like your Dell computer being full of Intel chips.. good luck going to Intel and asking for chips and support.

Dahuas are excellent cameras, I own a bunch of em and am buying more.. nothing wrong if you get em from Lorex.. mine dont have any name printed on em so I could call em Nayruahs and sell them if I liked.. With all OEM products its up to the retailer you bought it from to provide you with a warranty/support, if you email dahua do not expect a response unless your interested in buying a few thousand cameras at a time.. then dahua will just print your name on the camera and box for you.
We use Dahua and really like the product and the service we get. I am however looking for a low cost camera that we can sell to compete with Lorex or Amcrest. Where did you get the no label Dahua or do you have another suggestion?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any issues with not getting the product you think you ordered?
SD6436-HN Dahua Security CCTV Camera Waterproof D1 IP PTZ Camera 600TVL IR LEDs up to 80m 36x
For $45??????
you dont want an analog 600tvl camera even if it was free....start reading the forum...you dont understand what you are buying.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We use Dahua and really like the product and the service we get. I am however looking for a low cost camera that we can sell to compete with Lorex or Amcrest. Where did you get the no label Dahua or do you have another suggestion?
Hi Newb,

So you want to get into the camera selling business and want to compete vs Lorex and Amcrest.

Do take a look at the following kit:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

I picked that kit from Costco above since I know Dahua products now better and understand that I can not find 4K cameras in that form factor cheaper than what is being sold in the kit. Clearly, imho those vendors selling this kit have included their profit margins within that kit's price.

Ask yourself how much of a profit margin would you like and subtract the profit from the kit's price.

Then find representatives from Chinese Dahua or Hikvision and see if they can wholesale source to you.

The products most of us are picking up are not direct from the factories, but through Chinese vendors who have added their mark ups and are selling directly to us cutting out US middlemen.